Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Whats your opinion?

Heres a question that has been discussed many times between myself and friends on the way to the river and i wanted to see what everyone elses opinion is on this one dry.gif

What is the MOST inportant thing to match in the flies you fish during a hatch?

Meaning if you could only match one aspect of the flies hatching would it be

Size,color,shape,etc etc......

I have always been of the thinking that i would rather have the proper shape than the right size or color and i have friends that feel color is more important than shape dunno.gif

Not really a "right" answer i guess but whats everyones else's thought?

I would say size would be my choice. If I throw a EHC caddis that is close to something hatching, like a small stone or something I think they would still take it.

I guess thats why I like to fish a parachute adams too, I can prospect with it, and put an appropriately sized one on during a hatch with equal chance of hook up.

john

in the mtns i think that size is about the most important. but on the holston tailwaters where the harvard educated trout swim all 3 have to be right i had the right fly with a blue dun wing instead a nat dun wing they wouldn't touch it. I caught a natural sulpher and the wing this time of year are brownish so i tied some brown and the same size have been wearing them out. So just depends on the fish and the waters. just my .10

Size, then shape, then color.

This is what I go by as well.

When I was out of pale evening duns I used an adams of the same size during the hatch. Worked just as well.

The most important aspect, in my humble opinion, is the way the imitation is presented.

If they are taking #18 spent spinners you will get most takes if you present a fly in the film, even if everything else appears wrong.

after presentation, then size, shape color.

Roy, you bring up a good point and I can't really argue with you. I answered the way I did because I thought we were discussing the physical attributes of a fly, not how they are presented.

Again, good point.

I have to agree with Mark. Size, shape, color. There is a large variance between natural insects when it comes to color, giving us somewhat of a break.

I try to match the size first. In slower water an exact size match is more important than when fishing faster water, where a fly one size larger than the natural can be effective.

Shape next, then color, but I agree that presentation can go a long way.

Chip

I will agree with the (Size, Shape then Color) when your talking about dry flies.

But if your talking nymphs and wets I will go with (Size Color then Shape)

OSD.

I think there are too many variables to generalize about which is more important. The speed of the current, whether the sun is out or if it's overcast will determine if the fish is keying on size, color or shape. In fast moving water a fish doesn't have time to be too picky. On overcast days I've had very finicky spring creek browns hit anything that was the right size, didn't seem to matter what color it was.

Roy's observarion is always right, if it ain't presented properly the fish isn't going to take it. This is what I enjoy most about trout fishing, fooling the little bastards. Everything, size, shape, color and presentation coming together all at once to fool a fish. It's a thing of beauty when it all works.