Fly Tying
iso18

making my own knotted leaders??????????????

me_and_ethen_after_our_hunt_last_fall_in_ohio_and_my_other_2_kids.bmpme_and_ethen_after_our_hunt_last_fall_in_ohio_and_my_other_2_kids.bmp you get my point, could someone explain to me,like i'm a 6 yyear old,how to make my own fly leaders up to the point of the tippet i know how to tie the tippet on.What i am looking for is a simple recipe for trout fishing,like say 20 pound,3 feet,12 pounnd 2 feet,6 pound 2 feet,3 pound 1 foot and then i could tie my tippet on.What im saying is can someone tell me in lb test the steps i need(not diameters to make my own tapered leaders?thanks in advance for any responses and god bless

shane wv

A good basic formula (for a 9 foot leader):

25 pounds 33 inches

15 pounds 11 inches

10 pounds 11 inches

6 pounds 11 inches

4 pounds 11 inches

2 pounds 33 inches

thanx rock worm i'll try that sound pretty good God bless

A good basic formula (for a 9 foot leader):

25 pounds 33 inches

15 pounds 11 inches

10 pounds 11 inches

6 pounds 11 inches

4 pounds 11 inches

2 pounds 33 inches

Do you have a picture of a leader tied to this recipe once finished? If so, I'd like to see it.

Thanks!

Ray

I'm sure it's not the answer you're looking for, but I have to say - "GO FURLED". Once you do one, it's easier than all those knots, and you use only one size of material. No knots to catch green stuff, better turn over, it just makes a better leader. And it's really not that hard, especially if you can get a video to physically show you the way through it.

If you want, make a run out here to South Dakota and I'll show you how to furl a leader and then show you some real pheasant hunting :) . Season opens the third weekend of October.

Deeky

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/blog/20/Ha...ing-Fly-Leaders

http://www.killroys.com/knots/knots.htm

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/

I've been tying my own leaders for years. Thanks to someone by the name of Gearge Harvey. I was fishing Spring Creek and some old man was watching me fish. He said I was casting nice by my fly had a hard time turning over. Try this leader. It was the first time I ever seen a hand tied leader. I look at it and thought he was casting into a Hurricane with all thoughs knots in it. I figured to try it out. He came back later and asked me how I like it. I asked him how he did it. He invited me over to his house and showed me how to tie my own leader. Gave me his recipes and a histroy of leaders.

Do you have a picture of a leader tied to this recipe once finished? If so, I'd like to see it.

Thanks!

Ray

It is 9 ft long, transparent, and tapers down to a spider thread. I'm not sure how (or why one would want) to take a picture of a leader.

just go to a GOP convention and take a picture of John Mcain and whala.......A perfect picture of a leader.pretty simple if u think about it.

shane wv God bless