Fly Tying
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Man, am I glad I checked back on this thread. I've been really struggling with methods and ideas for imposing a disability and making the flies presentable. As always, the folks on this forum share ideas and inspiration. Now I'm motivated and better educated. Look out, Marine on the vise!

Spanky

I'll get them in the mail this week TNB. As for seeing any handywork,,? I found this challenge to be just that, CHALLENGING! I ended up using the pattern i first tied when learning to tie (wolly bugger). It was hard just to find a way to start the thread much less finish the head! But i finally learned the one hand whip finish :) I want to thank you for picking up the torch for Kerry and keeping the challenge swaps going. This is by far the coolest swap i've had the pleasure of being part of this year.

Thanks All.

chris

I mailed mine out last week so they should get to you soon.

I was shocked at how difficult it was to "think" in doing it in a different way. Like Chris says, you found that you were back to being a newbie and relearning what most of us have done so many times we no longer even think about it. It is humbeling to do this. I was always fighting the natural motions i learned years ago to follow the rules with the new motions. But i was faced with the fact that when my left eye gets even close to being as bad as my right i will no longer be able to tie. I wonder if there is a way to keep fishing? I am already noted around here for wading in rivers and lakes way after sundown since i have taught my-self to fish by feel and sound...Lets face it, that is when the most surface activity happens and i am taking advantage of that. Well here is to hope that it will be a long time before i face that. :cheers: or is it that i am already slowly adapting. :dunno:

Here is to remembering those who face the hardships instantly and wishing them the best. :cheers:

To keep fighting is the wonder of being alive.

O.k. I posted mine anyone else have anything to demonstrate for onehanded tying?

no guts- no glory

Addy Please. Truely a challenge. If not for the ideas shared here I would have really been lost. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and especially thanks to those who have given so much in service to our country.

Semper Fi

OK the end is nearing. Only three sets left to receieve. I will post pics when all are here. You guys did AMAAAAAAAAAZING ! Thanks so much for extra effort I know it was really challenging. Also the extra flies are greatly appreciated. Dr. Vette, Thanks for the leaders and line, they will be in use soon.

Thanks for the challenge guys! I ended up dipping some small needle nose pliers in plasti-grip to handle some of the materials without slippage. They ended up kind of hairy but I still think they will catch fish. I put some regularly tied flies to donate so the vets would have some variety. troutnabout, hopefully one of these days things will work out that I'm up your way during one of your activities. I would love to get involved. I work on a Marine base and wish fly fishing/tying was more popular on the coast so we could have a similar activity here.

:headbang:

Spanky

Semper Fi

I ended up using a couple of techniques using the same tool. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I get home.

The exercise taught me a few things about coping with one hand. I also found how hard it was to wind hackle with pliers! My pattern was pretty simple but it should catch fish. Thanks for the swap.....Kerry

O.K men, I received the final set of flies yesterday. I am truely humbled by your tying prowess. Your one handed and plier/hemostat tied flies exceed the quality of my two handed flies. Thank you to all who participated. I will get pics up by Sunday pm and flies will go out Monday. I also plan to get the pics and some`quotes or brief stories about your tying experienes on the Project Healing Waters Website. Anyone who cares to share thier thoughts,stories about your experience can pm me. Thank you again for making this a success for the men and women who serve our country. Steve