Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Test your fly fishing knowledge

Ok lets have have a bit'o fun here guys and test the knowledge of our membership on the subject of fly fishing/tying biggrin.gif

Only rules are:

1.Questions have to be about fly fishing or fly tying

2:NO CHEATING mad.gif so no looking up on the internet for answers...honor system here guys dry.gif

3:Person with the correct answer is the only person who gets to post the next question.

Besides that i'll start off and whoever gets it right will continue with the next question.

we'll start off somewhat "easy"

Question:What is the name of the book that Dame Juliania wrote in 1496?

Heh, I think that is in every fly fishing book I've read so far.

A treatise to fly-fishing with an angle.

I can look up the old english if you like..

[edit]

I'm 99% sure I'm right so I'll throw a question out there since steeldrifter thinks its ok to spend a few minutes away from the website. tongue.gif If not skip me.

Who wrote the Compleat Angler in 1653?

I know there are way too many s's and y's in Juliana's title! fysshyng... blink.gif

Mcfly - That has been in just about every fishing book that I've read! Isaak Walton.

I'm going to go on the assumption that I'm correct, and since we're on the topic of books, here's a more difficult one:

In what novel did the 'Great Isaak Walton Controversy' take place?

Mcfly - That has been in just about every fishing book that I've read!

Yeah, they both are. tongue.gif Your right with Isaak Walton

Jeez away from the site watchin a movie for 2 hours and i catch hell for it wink.gif

Mcfly you are correct it was fishing with an angle but origanly spelled Fyshnge Wyth an Angle .... dunno.gif guess people couldnt spell back then ethier laugh.gif

SO i believe Carl's is the current question with

the complete angler.... or was it the compleat angler..... where most people believe that by angler he meant anglos when the entire prodestant/catholic rip was going through england.

steve

I don't want to be the thread killer, so here is a hint:

The book was published in 1983 and was the first book of fiction that Sierra Club Books (est. 1892) ever published.

If nobody gets the answer by morning, Google it. And read the dang book people! It's one of the better novels out there and it is about fishing!

Since no one else has answered, the book is The River Why by David James Duncan. A very good book.

Here's another one:

What was the name of the book written by George Parker Holden, originally published in 1920, that was the first work to go into detail regarding the how-to of bamboo rodmaking? It also features a section on making your own real silk worm leaders (very entertaining reading that!). It's an idyllic book on the art of making split bamboo rods... whistling1.gif

QUOTE (Carl @ Jun 17 2004, 01:21 PM)
Since no one else has answered, the book is The River Why by David James Duncan. A very good book.

Here's another one:

What was the name of the book written by George Parker Holden, originally published in 1920, that was the first work to go into detail regarding the how-to of bamboo rodmaking? It also features a section on making your own real silk worm leaders (very entertaining reading that!). It's an idyllic book on the art of making split bamboo rods... whistling1.gif

The Idyl of the

Split-Bamboo

A Detailed Description of How to Build a Bamboo Fly-Fishing Rod

by George Parker Holden

Hey Streamside I knew you'd get that one. I haven't read that one yet but it's on my to do list.

Ken cool.gif

Jeeze this thread is fizzeling so I'm just going to add one to keep it going.

Question: Theodore Gordon was called the father of American dry fly fishing, the Quill gordon was his signature fly. But he also tied streamers. What was his most famous streamer fly?

Remember no cheating.

Fatman