Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

Question?Which do yall thank is best for crawdad pattern?

Just wondering,just started tying this pattern and was wondering what yall think.The feather one LOOKS better,But the bunny strip one looks like it would really move and pulsate in the water.What have been some of your experiences with the 2 techniques?

shane

Shane,

I guess it would depend on what species you are targeting but I will never use feathers for claws. Just not enough movement. I use bunny strips or marabou.

Fur strips. Like in Kelly Gallops's Crawfish pattern. He spins a small head of hair at the rear of the hook and then ties in 2 furs strips on each side, leather in. You can also use mink or squirrel for smaller crawfish. I have also used a rubber material sold as a tail for buggers and such. I don't remember what they were called but are wide, flat and shaped in a half circle so they really wiggle when stripped. Easy to tie in and they worked well, I just like using natural materials when I can.

Fur. Most fish 20 to 1, I have hooked on Crayfish took just as I stopped at the end of a strip. I think fur looks better for that. It also is more durable.

Cheers, Futzer.

Rubber legs or pheasant rump feathers.

Rubber legs or pheasant rump feathers. Claws are pretty stiff and dont move too much.