Fly Tying
KevCompton

Opal Rainbow Warrior

Opal Rainbow Warrior

A slight variation of Lance Egan's Rainbow Warrior.

Red Gamakatsu BL Scud Hook #12-18.

Beadhead: Silver Tungsten Bead.

White Giorgio Benecchi 12/0 Thread.

Tail: Brown Spade Hackle Fibers.

Underbody: White Benecchi 12/0 Thread.

Body: UTC Mirage Opal Tinsel.

Rib: Fine Silver Wire.

Wingcase: Pearl Flashback.

Thorax: Rainbow Sow Scud Dubbing.

Dogcollar: Red Giorgio Benecchi 12/0 Thread.

opalwarrior2.jpg

Nicely done. I'll take 2 dozen of them.

Good Day,

I concur with the others, well done! :headbang:

Now, with that said, what I find interesting about this is the use of a red hook. Why? Well some people have theorized about blood for example. However, what many folks fail to realize is that red is the first color to "disapear" or be absorbed in the water column, and quite shallow I might add at two to four feet. So, for example, if you are fishing a lake over a submerged weed bed with this type of fly it is likely it will be fished at more than four feet in deapth which in turn effectively makes the hook "disapear". For example, from a Darwinian perspective... why do you think so many deep water (over one mile) saltwater fish are red in color? Exactly... camoflage... Honestly, one of the areas of fishing that I think many fly fishers, for what ever reason, tend to ignore is how and what the fish can or cannot see. And that with this knowledge one can better design effective flies for the type of fishing they are practising. For example... did you know that virtually all fish species can see in the ultra violet? That there are even some species (limited research available) that can see in the infrared? Hmmm... opens up all kinds of interesting thoughts doesn't it? I have found myself to use more and more "ultraviolet" materials in the past few years...

Steelie

Yes Steelie. Spirit River is even selling an ultraviolet pen now.

Steelie,

Besides stuff like "knot-sense", what other UV products have you been utilizing to adapt to your knowledge about fishing seeing UV?

Kev,

I like that alot. I am certain that the hook though the body is all important and gives the illusion of depth to the fly - making it highly imitative. Could be an excellent chironomid pattern this one.

Excellent work.

DW.