Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Great lakes steelhead patterns :help:

One word SPAWN
Bruce, you're killing me. Didn't know spawn was a pattern.

Any variety of egg patterns are a great source, either nuke eggs, clown or estaz would work. Small black stones and green caddis are my faves too.

Another vote for sucker spawn. I don't think you can go wrong with a box full of different colors and sizes as your only box of flies for great lakes steelhead, at least in PA and NY.

The only other fly I think is worth while to carry is an egg sucking leech pattern in different colors and sizes.

With these two patterns you can do it all, or darn close.

my advice is to put numbers aside in your thinking...........and give yourself a chance at the ultimate experience...........

sit down at your vise......and dream............dream of how you'll feel when you release the fish you just caught with a pattern of your own design..........

dream.....for a few minutes, of all the flies you've ever seen, and the colors that excited you...................then

sharpen the hook that is your favorite........and pick the materials you like to work with the most

and GO KArazy!!!!! USE your imgination to the UPMOST!!!!!!!!!!! Stretch the boundries of anything you've ever dreamt before...............

may your adventure fullfill your dreams...............

mark..... ;)

I have never fished Michigan . I primarily fish Georgian Bay and Lake Huron tribs swinging a two-hander . So you can take my suggestions for what it's worth . Though I like to swing Spey and Dee flies and occassionally the odd Waddington style fly :rolleyes: I find that soft hackles tied in Steelhead fashion take 60% of all my fish . Whether swung within the surface film or down real low ticking rocks , they continue to produce .

Here are a few :

Spey075.jpg

Spey017.jpg

Swap07028.jpg

Swap07017.jpg

Swap07005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

SteelheadSofthackles018.jpg

SteelheadSofthackles012.jpg

SteelheadSofthackles007.jpg

SteelheadSofthackles002.jpg

Like Mark (Willowhead) already stated , sit back and create your own fish producer , with colours and materials that you prefer and work for you .

Have fun !!

Mike

Man Mike, you got some spilt second timmin'...............i been at the vise quite a bit today and tonight, and i'm headed back now........but just thought i'd give this thread a look first. I'm doin' big fat soft hackles right now..........actually doin' some on CATFISH hooks by Eagle Claw..... :D .....just for the hell of it. Puttin' together a donation box full for the FFF Great Lakes Council Conclave on Dec. 6th in Mason, Michigan.

To a large degree all "my flies" are just big ass soft hackles in one way or the other...........i may go way out there with them........but in the end, they almost always have a collar and are just a fancied up soft hackle is all..........LOVE 'EM, LOVE 'EM, LOVE 'EM............the all-around GREATEST fly ever invented......the good 'ole soft hackle. i'll give anthing a try.....in or on the water or in the vise.........but i always come back to some form of a soft hackle. And i'll tye 'em on just bout ANY hook. :P There's simply NO END to the hook(s), color(s), dubbing(s), thread(s) and feather(s) combinations you can use. WONDERFULLY endless.......... :yahoo:

Yours are VERY wonderful and expertly, ( i know, i hate that word, :D ) tyed. VERY beautiful work. mark..... ;)

soft hackles, do wonders in PA, don't forget the olive woolybugger,alway's a producer for me.