Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Slumpbuster Steelhead V.

Basically a slumpbuster pattern just "fancied up" to wine and dine the western steelies this winter.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT ...........only thing i might of done differently is to use a thread that matched in color, or perhaps just a dab of dubbing (also matched), up at the cone head. GREAT tye though. mark..... ;)

Thanks all, I used this with success last year for the first time. It's fairly simple, and yes the AJ really adds to the flow of the pattern and gives it that little bit of flash to balance the head.

I have to agree with you Mark, It could use a little something in that area for looks, not for the fish, but for the looks. I was actually thinking red thread or very sparse wrap of pheasant dyed black.

beautiful tie - maybe Barr should borrow your AJ touch :rolleyes:

I don't think it can really be "improved" for fish or fancy. I always lean towards the tinsel/gude body but it is just a personal opinion.

Very stunning

It's a phenominal tye.........great design..........wish you could make it down here sometime...........fish the area and hang out. You'd have a BALL doin' bouff! :D :) ........this year has been a WHIRLWIND...................!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 "events"..........i could sleep for a month.........but we got 3 more shows to do up north.....

we're thinkin' next year we may have to cut out a few shows and unfortunately that pretty much means the furthest away and most expensive to do.......we're tryin' to do more shows we never have before so maybe at some point we'll have done pretty much all of them at one time or another.........

so, as much as i hate to even think bout it.....we may not make the Oregon show again.........but we will be doin' the show up in Washington state, on the east side of the state. Maybe we'll see you there.....hope so.

lookin' forward to seein' another version of your fly..........just to see how creative you get with it.......... ;)

mark..... B)

btw, that really IS a nice touch usin' the AJ hook..... :thumbup:

I would describe the color more as a rusty brown. The actual material if anyone wants it is Pine Squirrel Zonkers dyed crawdad orange from Wapsi.