Fly Tying
Pujic

Muskie on the fly success!

And a cradle is a staple for a musky angler. They may seem tough but mishandling will kill them.

Agreed, but do you consider a proper, knotless muskie net (not a small cheapo net) mishandling?

And a cradle is a staple for a musky angler. They may seem tough but mishandling will kill them.

Agreed, but do you consider a proper, knotless muskie net (not a small cheapo net) mishandling?

No. I call mishandling grabbing hand full of belly and gill plate.

that is a huge fish! a dream catch in any book! I live in Northern California and we don't have pike or musky here. I sure do envy your catch that's for sure! :ripped: as far as handling the fish what about a boga grip?

I like a Boga on a salmon or a steelhead where I keep the fish in the water, but with a fish out of water, like a muskie or a pike in the net, I prefer the "Leech Lake Lip Lock," which is the "gill hold." Muskies have so much room in their mouths and up under their operculums that you can easily and safely (to you and the fish) put your hand under their gill plate and control the fish. Done properly, you never touch the gills and it's the safest way to hold a muskie or pike. I've had pike in the past on a Boga start thrashing and tear a hole in their jaw from the Boga's jaws. Probably not even a big deal, and I'm sure they heal up fine, but I don't even carry a Boga for muskies anymore...just a huge Beckman.