Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishinbub

What's Wrong?

Here are a couple of flies I tied for a contest on another board. What can I do to help make them better looking flies?

Picture236.jpg

Picture189.jpg

I'd try for more natural looking body cover like guinea feather and then use jungle cock feather for eyes. They look good but I go for the more natural look. Need better focus on the pictures if possible.

Take better pictures?

:ph34r:

The camera I took them with is about to die. I take that back, it died about 6 months ago yet I'm still using it. <_< We are getting a new one any day now, hopefully then the pics will be better.

About the more natural look,

The purpose of the foam is to cause the fly to float when still and dive when stripped. Would jungle cock also work for this? I kind of though it wouldn't, but the fly would look better if it did. Of course I did ask how to make it look better, not look better and still fish the same. :wallbash:

Hi fishinbub,

As near as I can tell from your pic there isn't much you can do to the fly from a fish's perspective. It looks like it would really prove attractive. From a tier's perspective you might consider adding some spots or other color applications to "pretty it up a bit." Quite frankly though, I don't see much you really need to do different IF a floating fly was your goal.

By the way, how about sending me a sample of the fly so I can publish it in Fly Fish America? If you are interested then click on my Web site and follow the hyper links from the home page to get the information I'll need. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hm, how about use polarbear or deer as a humph back tyed in backwards for floating instead of the foam and as the guys say use Junglecock for eyes... or maby even cover the foam up with some nice looking feathers...

Claudia

Possibly a dense spun hair muddler style head with a heavy collar over the back. Maybe then trim the head flat on top and bottom with a slight angle down to help it sink when stripped. If the foam is what you want (definately easier to tie which is good) I would go with Al's suggestion, pretty it up for the fishermen and women. You could also add a little flashabou or something under the foam wing and let it ride out of the back a little.

Thanks guys. I gotta try some of these suggestions.

Al, thanks for the offer. How can I subscribe for Fly Fish America? Also do you sell replacement jaws for danvise? Mine are starting to flare at the tip.

Add a small propeller and strip it fast, something with big nasty bitin teeth will hit that thing.

Cheers Futzer.