Fly Tying
iso18

in the middle of tying a realistic mayfly

but i have a question for any realistic tyers out there.I already have the body finished,the wings,the legs and the eyes.Here is where in need help.Where the thorax is.I used a sillifane type wing and in between the wings thread wraps r visible in this area and it is not built up enough.The under side of the thorax is the same way.The fly looks really good to me,have spent two evenings on it now and was wondering if i can save it.I was thinking maybe a finger nail polish lightly dabbed on,to cover up the thread wraps,and build up the thorax.There is no more room for thread as i said i have already completed yhe eyes,need help desperately.

thanx in advance shane :wallbash:

It depends on the color needed, but maybe Loon Hardhead, or thinned epoxy to fill and permanent marker to color. I'd ask for a picture, but I am sure this is one of your competition flies.

Cheers, Futzer.

It depends on the color needed, but maybe Loon Hardhead, or thinned epoxy to fill and permanent marker to color. I'd ask for a picture, but I am sure this is one of your competition flies.

Cheers, Futzer.

yes it is.Finger nail polish wouldnt work?

shane

p.s. i ve a brand new set of epoxy in the box the 2 tube but i have never used it before.any tips

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

p.s. i ve a brand new set of epoxy in the box the 2 tube but i have never used it before.any tips

Fingernail polish would probably work, I have never used it. I like how the Loon takes permanent marker, or the epoxy. I thin my epoxy slightly when I mix it and use a tooth pick or small modeling brush to apply it. The warmer it is the faster it sets. So I typically use 5 min and thinned it takes longer to dry.

Good Luck. Jeff

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

never in my life have i used epoxy for any thing was asking, any do's an donts on working with epoxy

thanx again shane

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

never in my life have i used epoxy for any thing was asking, any do's an donts on working with epoxy

thanx again shane

work small, you can always add more, but removing is a pain. A razor blade can slice it back. It seeks its own level so as it dries keep it moving so it does not settle in a bad drip. Where you are working on such a tiny area of a small bug, I would practice on something similar but less valuable to start. it is not hard to work with.

Good Day,

As for building bulk there is always dubbing. As for the wing case and underside of the thorax, may I suggest Nymph Stretch Skin or something similar. It is what I use. Tie it with the long end over the body then fold over toward the head. Then if you wish, color or hit it with nail polish.

Steelie

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

thanx again shane

futzer thank u so much i cant believe i made this fly,it is a giant step in my tying career and you were right the epoxy was allot easier than i thought to work with and i didn't need to color it, the thread color showed through so brilliantly, it was not needed..thank you so much

shane

p.s. creating veins on sillafanr wings,any suggestions,i know i should probably leave it alone but i want that vein look. any way to make veins on cigarette sillafane with a type of marking pen? :yahoo: sharpie seems to big.

shane

work small, you can always add more, but removing is a pain. A razor blade can slice it back. It seeks its own level so as it dries keep it moving so it does not settle in a bad drip. Where you are working on such a tiny area of a small bug, I would practice on something similar but less valuable to start. it is not hard to work with.

Good Day,

You should PM a member by the screen name of Graham. He has posted wonderful tutorials in the realistic section and I am sure would be of assistance.

Steelie

Good Day,

You should PM a member by the screen name of Graham. He has posted wonderful tutorials in the realistic section and I am sure would be of assistance.

Steelie

Fred H too!!! Futzer.

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

thanx again shane

futzer thank u so much i cant believe i made this fly,it is a giant step in my tying career and you were right the epoxy was allot easier than i thought to work with and i didn't need to color it, the thread color showed through so brilliantly, it was not needed..thank you so much

shane

p.s. creating veins on sillafanr wings,any suggestions,i know i should probably leave it alone but i want that vein look. any way to make veins on cigarette sillafane with a type of marking pen? :yahoo: sharpie seems to big.

shane

Hi Shane unfortunately Wings need to be segmented before they are small. Ok here goes. I get overhead projector printer sheets, clear plastic. Then I draw or copy a picture of my wings to Microsoft word or Photoshop, if using a picture I them magnify them and print them on photo paper, and use a fine sharpie to doctor the segments on the now Godzilla sized wing, think one pair on a piece of paper, then I minify them on my computer to life size and print them on the clear film OH projector sheets, cut them out and leave a little tie in triangle or notch. And there you have it. It sounds more complicated than it is. The OH projector sheets are expensive, so printing and duplicating them on photo paper or good quality regular paper, so you can copy say 30 to 50 wing pairs to one OH projector sheet is worth the added effort. With the cellophane wings, you can take one of the printed paper wing sets and trace the segments to the Cellophane sheet, just use an artists ink pen, at good drafting or art stores, then are not cheap but superfine tipped, just don't get tempted to fish them as the ink is not waterproof.

And congrats on your labor of love.

Cheers Futzer.

Let's see what you have done.

Ray

dont own a camera and its an entry in FTOTY.

shane

You need a camera.

Let's see what you have done.

Ray

dont own a camera and its an entry in FTOTY.

shane