Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykrodot

Fly Tying in Maryland

Hello All, I am new to this forum, and new to fly tying. I find it to be very enjoyable and relaxing. I would love to meet some other fly tying people in my area (right outside DC) and get together to do some tying, and some fishing. I'm trying to learn more about the world of fly fishing. So if your out there send me a pm or an e-mail. [email protected]

An Orvis store just opened up near me, and I'm very happy about that. :yahoo:

thanks in advance,

Aaron

attached is a pic of a brown i caught a few months ago in the Yampa River in Steamboat Springs, CO. right in the middle of town

post-18372-1228553931_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the boards. I work in Montgomery County but live elsehwere. What kind of fly fishing do you do? I started out trout fishing but lately I have moved more into the smallmouth side of the sport.

In terms of fly fishing, I go for trout, but I have never fly fished here on the east coast, only out west. I would like to go here in MD, but I need to find some people to got out with. Also I'm not sure if my rod would be any good for smallmouth. Its a sage 4 weight.

Welcome. I'm not in Maryland but have been networking with the new store in Bethesda. I hope to make it up someday.

Peace and beer.

Hi Flykrodot;

Welcome to MD, I live in southern MD but fish for warmwater species.

There are several Trout Unlimited chapters in your area, that would be a good place to start.

Wayneb

I'm also in MD. I sent you a PM earlier today! A 4 wt is fine for smallmouths as long as you don't try to throw flies that are too big. In some of the smaller streams it's a blast to use a rod that size! I use a 3 or a 4 wt sometimes. Of course a heavier weight would be better as you go to larger waters & bigger flies.

My choice is a 6 wt, but I also use an 8.

Hello All, I am new to this forum, and new to fly tying. I find it to be very enjoyable and relaxing. I would love to meet some other fly tying people in my area (right outside DC) and get together to do some tying, and some fishing.

I sent Aaron the following information, but then realized that it might be of interest to anyone else in the area of Maryland around DC:

Our chapter of Trout Unlimited (Potomac-Patuxent) has its annual fly tying meeting next month on Jan 21st. We meet in Silver Spring. Details can be found at the following link:

PPTU Fly Tying Meeting

We have about a dozen tyers, and usually draw 60-80 people to watch. You can meet lots of local tyers.