Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrismartin

EP Flies

This is my first attempt at using EP fibers. I'm no totally happy with the result. I think they could be much better.. any advice?

post-18024-1229058706_thumb.jpg

I personally like just a little less thick of material, think ghost-like and a more reflective eye. Other than that they are dandy, and will catch fish.

Cheers, Futrzer.

they look good. a little less material to thin them down a bit. they are a little "thick". they should be a little more "airy". and after you think you have brushed them out and trimmed them enough--brush them out and trim the fuzzies of them 5 more times.

i have been tying some of these up as late as well. the hardest part is getting the amount of material down to the correct amount. luckily at Guys Flies and Pies there was a chap there who had studied under Enrico so i got some tips from him. well basically he showed me the correct way to do it start to finish. he is holding a more formal class in January that i will be attending with a few other folks that were at GFP as well. keep up the good work.

i think chris for a first attempt with ep fibre they are really good at lot better than my first attempts , i would agree with the guys in so far a bit less material i find with ep the old saying less is more works really well

as to the eyes you can use what you like i see you have used rattle eyes on these ,these work ell for putting a sound out underwater but 3d and shinny eyes do have there place

the one thing that helped me with ep is practice practice practice youll soon get it mate

hope that helps

tight lines

ps - thiose flies would still catch pike over here :)

Hi Chrismartin;

I agree with others comments, just use less material. The best advice I ever recieved and was from another who learned from Puglisi himself was: When you think you have just enough material to tie on, half it and you'll be close to right.

This pattern is definetly one you improve with repetition, that and reducing the amount of material you tie on each step. it's amazing how little material you can use to get the correct profile. It really creates a translucent effect with the least amount of material, just as the baitfish the pattern is trying to imitate.

Good luck;

Wayneb

You might also pick up some monofilament thread. I think the heads look better when tied with this. Other than that and the other recommendations they look great!

I posted a response in one of your other threads. As others have said less material is better, but there may be reasons for bulking up. You may want to push more water with the pattern in murky water for example. The best way to do this is to tie like you have done, but then thin the body at two or three points from the head to the tail using thinning shears/scissors. Im my opinion they are indispensible when working with EP and similar fibers.

If you are going to fill you box with EP flies, it's also a good idea to keep a cheap comb and a pair of scissors in there as well. If you get into a lot of fish, sometimes the EP flies knot up.