Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
northshore

just trying stuff

I'm a little bored this morning, so I want to try to make a fly that had a tail that is connected by a piece of leader material.I couldn't get my fingers to work so the knot that holds the tail is really bad.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this or reasons not to do this.

post-18325-1229619020_thumb.jpg

Little tough to see in the picture. The major drawback/problem with extended tails is the proclivity towards fouling on the primary hook. There are a few ways around that such as a small hard mono loop. What about cutting the fron hook off and only having the trailing hook?

The reason for the hook on the front part,don't know if this is right,but is what I was told,is that trout will try to take a smaller fish by the head.I will have to try a loop instead of a knot to hold them together.

Use a little thicker tippet, heat the tail end side with a lighter to get a little ball, then use a needle in your vise to tie down the tail material and whip finish twice. THe little ball will flare the tail material, and be a stopper for the whole thing pulling off. Complete the tail with a drop of loon knot sense after removing it from the needle. Cure the knot sense with ultraviolet LED or sunlight. I do a similar thing to tanden hooks in big pike flies.

Cheers Futzer.

What is loon knot?Is that like head cement or is a actual knot?

It's "Loon Knot Sense". It's a glue activated by UV light. (They call it a "knot dressing", but it's glue.)