Fly Tying

The first thing to do is secure the thread to the material holder on the vice and bring thread to front of needle.

post-1533-1231967770_thumb.jpg

Take one piece of foam and put on top and tie down. Take second piece and place on bottom of needle and tie in place. Now move thread between foam pieces and around needle. Hold both pieces of foam on needle and take a couple of wraps around them and pull tight. Repeat this until you have three segments. Whip finish. Remove foam tail from needle and trim excess foam and shape tail.

post-1533-1231967895_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1231968001_thumb.jpg

Take ‘Thread Puller' and put between layers of foam. Hook rubber leg material and pull through. Repeat for the next two segments and trim. I got my Thread Puller at Wal Mart, but you should be able to get one at most fabric shops.

post-1533-1231968185_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1231968296_thumb.jpg

Wrap hook with good base of thread and tie tail onto hook.

post-1533-1231968606_thumb.jpg

Tie on eyes and legs at this time. Now is a good time to trim leg length.

post-1533-1231968741_thumb.jpg

Turn hook over and take piece of foam and tie onto bottom of hook where tail is attached. Move thread to just in front of legs.

post-1533-1231968869_thumb.jpg

Turn hook back over. Take foam and hold to eye of hook and punch hole in foam where eye of hook can pass through.

post-1533-1231969059_thumb.jpg

Make a couple of wraps around foam to form head of fly. Move thread back to where foam was tied in and make a couple of wraps. Pull tight, and trim off excess foam. Whip finish.

post-1533-1231969231_thumb.jpg

You are now free to go fishing.

post-1533-1231969327_thumb.jpg

that's a really neat technique & nice looking fly. what size/type hook do you tie those on? I see allot of possibilities with this fly :)

Mike

The hook that I used on this particular fly was the Mustad 7948A size 12. This fly floats so well you can use a heaver gage hook like the one on this fly.

unfortunately it wouldn't be till probably March or April around here, or the first ice out. here in NW IA, the temps are in the -10-20's just went through 2 major blizzards this past weekend.

so right now just restocking the ole fly box with some new and tried & true flies I use for panfish and bass.

Mike

:D WELL DONE, FLOYD. I love to tie extended body flies.It is always admirable to see someone who can tie them with such quality.That reminds me, I have alot more Hex and Brown Drakes to tie! :)

Thanks Bob

I used to tie and use those big Hex's for those big browns on the South Branch of the Au Sable when I lived in Michigan. Sure do miss fishing there.

:D Those Hexes sure are an addiction!Hatces on the Au Sable and Manistee nearby are dumbfounding!I used to live on the North Branch, but am still near some great water.Keep on fishing hard. :)

Floyd, I gotta tell you, this is a TERRIFIC step-by-step and pattern. I love the effect of the red dots along the lateral line. Awesome technique. :headbang:

...nicely done... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: ...I too love the look of the red dots...should work very well for the goldeye up here in this neck of the woods...thanks for sharing...

The first thing to do is secure the thread to the material holder on the vice and bring thread to front of needle.

post-1533-1231967770_thumb.jpg

Take one piece of foam and put on top and tie down. Take second piece and place on bottom of needle and tie in place. Now move thread between foam pieces and around needle. Hold both pieces of foam on needle and take a couple of wraps around them and pull tight. Repeat this until you have three segments. Whip finish. Remove foam tail from needle and trim excess foam and shape tail.

post-1533-1231967895_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1231968001_thumb.jpg

Take ‘Thread Puller' and put between layers of foam. Hook rubber leg material and pull through. Repeat for the next two segments and trim. I got my Thread Puller at Wal Mart, but you should be able to get one at most fabric shops.

post-1533-1231968185_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1231968296_thumb.jpg

Wrap hook with good base of thread and tie tail onto hook.

post-1533-1231968606_thumb.jpg

Tie on eyes and legs at this time. Now is a good time to trim leg length.

post-1533-1231968741_thumb.jpg

Turn hook over and take piece of foam and tie onto bottom of hook where tail is attached. Move thread to just in front of legs.

post-1533-1231968869_thumb.jpg

Turn hook back over. Take foam and hold to eye of hook and punch hole in foam where eye of hook can pass through.

post-1533-1231969059_thumb.jpg

Make a couple of wraps around foam to form head of fly. Move thread back to where foam was tied in and make a couple of wraps. Pull tight, and trim off excess foam. Whip finish.

post-1533-1231969231_thumb.jpg

You are now free to go fishing.

post-1533-1231969327_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Hopper? I will try it. Check your PM's as I sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

DT