Fly Tying
Betty

Green Crabby

Stripers love to eat crabs and this is a simple fly to tye.

Hook: Any good saltwater hook sized to your needs, this one is a 1/0

Body: EP Sparkle Brush Green (Tan is good too and they take a marker)

Claws: Grizzley Hackle

Legs: Any color silicone legs that work in your fly

Eyes: Burnt mono

Lead: Lead eyes to match the fly

Tye in the lead eyes close to the eye, make them spread out to the side a little. Splay the feather claws and tye them in outside of the mono eyes. Next use the EP Sparkle Brush (thin wire in the center) by tying it in right at the claw/eye area and wind to the lead eyes and tye off. Next tye in all the legs at one time, I use four pieces tyed in the middle. Coat threads and fish.

post-18342-1232413212_thumb.jpg

very nice tie!

Thank you, I hope it helps someone catch a nice fish this coming year.

Good Day,

Now that looks like a tasty fly that I am sure many types of fish will go for! Great job!

Steelie

Thank you, my friend is heading to the Keys and I'll have a few tyed up in small sizes and different colors for him to try.

Betty

Nice fly. Looks like a fast one to ty right after coming off the beach from catching them.

Can you take a picture from the top and side angle better? Are the lead eyes hourglass shape?

Good color for the NJ beaches. Might even be able to get a tricky, spitting tog with one of them.

Ridleyffo......In the photo you'll notice the lead eyes (hourglass shape) painted orange and tyed near the eye on the top of the shank and tyed the material so the hook would ride up. I should have tyed in a mono weed guard. I'll take some pictures of the views you requested to help you. I'd be jazzed to catch a tog on the fly! I use to fish tog a lot in the fall, winter and spring years ago on boats and jetties ....loved the fight (plus good to eat in the smaller 2 to 3 pounders).

Betty

you inspired me to twist up my first crab fly. I happened to pick up fly tyer magazine on Saturday and they had ten different crab patterns pictured. I had to adjust for my materials on hand and the crazy yarn I got from Fly tyer Dungeon worked out perfectly. My camera should be able to capture the fly well as it was tied on a #2, but now Im having trouble since my upgrade to Picassa with having the photo software recognize the camera.

Here is a shot of the underside of one of my flys from last season. I took the idea from the freshwater bass fishermen's baits and I'm sure it could take a permit if a local tyer could work with the concept. The leg tye is also easy, four pieces of sili legs tyed under the lead eyes then trimmed to size

post-18342-1234404075_thumb.jpg

Wonderful pattern!! reds will love it!! are you trimming streamer brush after tying in?? i always end up with round mass instead of more merkin shaped body......

Newman

www.gtownkingfisher.com

A little trimming but I tend to build as I wind foward to the eye. Take some time to "stroke" the material as you wind the brush, use your bodkin to pick out the little rubber legs. You could tie in some sili legs Merkin style and pick out the material to shape.