Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wolfriverfisher

Funny or strange fishing experiences

Well Bud, I feel sorry for you buddy. I can imagine they implanted some sort of tracking device in you, so they can follow up this evil experiment. I know that my experience with alien occupation is the whole ulgy scene is likely to happen again and again. Funny though, the strange liquid in my case smelled exactly like Gin. Sadly they keep taking all my money too.

Hmmmm. Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks for sharing all of your great stories. Time to tell my other beaver story now. I was fishing a big deep pool on the Wolf River where a dam used to be and along comes this beaver and starts slapping his tail on the water. Take a canoe paddle and slap it on the water as hard as you can and times that by 5. I got frustrated and went up river about a quarter mile to fish this nice bay above where the dam used to be. Wouldn't you know it 10 minutes later Mr. Beaver shows up and starts slappin his tail again , so I headed back to the pool below the dam where I started fishing. Wouldn't you know it that a little while later Mr. Beaver showed up again and started slapping again. This time I got so frustrated that I quit fishing and started heading for home. I climbed the hill to where the old railroad tracks used to be and looked at the pool and saw the beaver swimming around ( Probably laughing at me). I grabbed one of the rocks from the railroad grade and was going to see how close I could come to hitting him with it. I'm not claiming to be Brett Favre or anything , but I bet it was close to a 70 yard throw to the beaver. I heaved the rock as hard as I could and hit the darn thing right in the back. He took off like a rocket. I never thought in a million years that I'd hit the darn critter. I'm sure it hurt a bit , but I didn't kill him. Needless to say I've never been bothered again by a beaver fishing that pool!! Wolfriverfisher

My son and I were canoeing last summer not fishing in the normal sense (no rods or nets) when my son yell from the other canoe dad I cought a fish. The fish committed suicide and jumped in the boat. But my son save him and threw him back. It was a Chub I believe.

listen up, this is no joke, when you guys go back fishing, watch the skies and be afraid, be very afraid

i can recall how they looked and the strangest thing is they looked exactly like day5's new crayfish fly, so that got me wondering, did they get to day5 too? did they implant something in his brain to have him tie flies in their apperance. it's an alien consiracy i tell you, be afreaid

Bud

I got a good one and a safety tip for all you salt water tyers. Last night down in the dungeon, and my computer is just a foot long roll from the tying desk. I am tying some 8/0 Tarpon bugs on TMC 600SPs. I was about to IM Service tech and also write another weird Happy meal post to Day5 and got up from my bench to fill my beverage (Iced tea, nothing stronger last night). I pushed my chair and it bumped the bench, like I have a million times. Came back down to the dungeon and sat down, and you guessed it, I pierched both aXX cheeks with an 8/0 stainless steel tiemco. SO 4 hours later in the ER, they lidocaned me up and pushed it through, and they could not cut the dam shank with their wire cutters in the ER. So, I had to yard, me and my hook and no pants back out to my van to get my bolt cutters from work. So 4 stitches, several ER nurses that I see regularly and I am sure will tease the crap out of me next time I am there, and the funniest looks from everyone I drove by on the way, trying to keep my butt elevated while I drove the van, One cut off pair of work pants, and a Radiologist I work with, that just had to ask if I would tie him a few Tarpon Patterns on the way out of the ER. My Safety tip, if you have egg crate foam on the seat of your tying chair, throw it away, especially if you work with 3 inch long hooks at anytime.

Sittin on a doughnut, still beet red and embarrassed, literally, Futzer.

"you guys ain't gonna believe this but i was fishing one day and got abducted by aliens. i was found 10 hours later in a strip club without no recollection of how i got there. " Well thank you Bud you are the winner in our livingroom. You brought tears of laughter to us all. I darn near couldn't get the whole yarn out loud for laughing so hard. So thank you very much, the laugh was worth a week of fishing to us. :hyst: :yahoo: :hyst: :lol: :headbang: :D

Twice now , I've been way back in the sticks all alone fishing a nice pool on the Wolf River and out of nowhere an osprey plunges into the water at full speed and comes flapping out of the water with a fish in it's talons (I wasn't able to see what kind of fish - I was too busy checking my shorts). I felt like chicken little because I thought for sure the sky was falling!! wolfriverfisher (Craig)

Once while casting a # 12 micro bugger I caught a 5ft aligator gar. I was fishing a canal about 30 yards wide and catching google eyes some of you call them warmouths, I think. Anyway the fish were holding tight against the cover on the opposite bank so it was hard to see what was going on when the gar hit. I made a cast , felt the take and started to pull in a good sized goggle eye ; when it rose out of the water half way and started moving in a peculiar way. It reminded me of the opening scene from the movie Jaws . When the girl swimming in the begining of the movie is taken sideways in the water in a manner she could not have moved herself. Once I realized what was actually happening , I knew me and my 5wt were in trouble. I let the beast run til it was well into my backing. I think the only reason I was able to land the toothy behemuth is that he had taken the fish so deep that my tipet

was not exposed to those teeth. There were at least ten other people fishing near me on that stretch of the canal. They all stopped fishing to help me land the fish. Including two teenagers who waded waist deep in the water and

brought the fish on to shore once it was tired out. Its hard for me to guage weight on fish that size but using a bait casting rod for comparison we determined it was well over 5 feet long.

Fred

Hi Fred. You should of checked to see if you had a new line class record on that fish. I'm thinking that there's a good chance that you did. wolfriverfisher (Craig)

I got a good one and a safety tip for all you salt water tyers. Last night down in the dungeon, and my computer is just a foot long roll from the tying desk. I am tying some 8/0 Tarpon bugs on TMC 600SPs. I was about to IM Service tech and also write another weird Happy meal post to Day5 and got up from my bench to fill my beverage (Iced tea, nothing stronger last night). I pushed my chair and it bumped the bench, like I have a million times. Came back down to the dungeon and sat down, and you guessed it, I pierched both aXX cheeks with an 8/0 stainless steel tiemco. SO 4 hours later in the ER, they lidocaned me up and pushed it through, and they could not cut the dam shank with their wire cutters in the ER. So, I had to yard, me and my hook and no pants back out to my van to get my bolt cutters from work. So 4 stitches, several ER nurses that I see regularly and I am sure will tease the crap out of me next time I am there, and the funniest looks from everyone I drove by on the way, trying to keep my butt elevated while I drove the van, One cut off pair of work pants, and a Radiologist I work with, that just had to ask if I would tie him a few Tarpon Patterns on the way out of the ER. My Safety tip, if you have egg crate foam on the seat of your tying chair, throw it away, especially if you work with 3 inch long hooks at anytime.

Sittin on a doughnut, still beet red and embarrassed, literally, Futzer.

Man jeff, maybe its just your hooks, i did that same thing a while back with those little egg hooks from you but no where near as serious as a 3 inch tiemco tarpon hook stuck in my just a little peroxide and tweezers and those same hooks have caught trout :hyst:

Once while casting a # 12 micro bugger I caught a 5ft aligator gar. I was fishing a canal about 30 yards wide and catching google eyes some of you call them warmouths, I think. Anyway the fish were holding tight against the cover on the opposite bank so it was hard to see what was going on when the gar hit. I made a cast , felt the take and started to pull in a good sized goggle eye ; when it rose out of the water half way and started moving in a peculiar way. It reminded me of the opening scene from the movie Jaws . When the girl swimming in the begining of the movie is taken sideways in the water in a manner she could not have moved herself. Once I realized what was actually happening , I knew me and my 5wt were in trouble. I let the beast run til it was well into my backing. I think the only reason I was able to land the toothy behemuth is that he had taken the fish so deep that my tipet

was not exposed to those teeth. There were at least ten other people fishing near me on that stretch of the canal. They all stopped fishing to help me land the fish. Including two teenagers who waded waist deep in the water and

brought the fish on to shore once it was tired out. Its hard for me to guage weight on fish that size but using a bait casting rod for comparison we determined it was well over 5 feet long.

Fred

Hi Fred. You should of checked to see if you had a new line class record on that fish. I'm thinking that there's a good chance that you did. wolfriverfisher (Craig)

It may have been if the hook would have disloged from the goggle eye into the gar. the fins from the goggle eye set in and would not let it back out . I lost my fly :crying:

me n a buddy one time decided to take it easy and do some catfishin one night. also a good excuse to drink beer as well. before I made a cast after riggin up I drew the rod back for a long cast, and thought I hooked into some brush behind me. well I yanked hard and when I did, snagged the largest water moccasin I've ever seen with my own two eyes as it went hissing by my head, and splashed down about 40ft out into the water in front of me. it was about that time that me and my buddy decided the hospital wasnt gonna be a good place to end the night with a snake bite, so we clipped our lines and left. needless to say, we dont fish that lake at night anymore.

Anyone one ever got a no. 6 stimulater hook in your knee?

Well I must have dropped one on the carpet and along comes my little brother who promply drops to his knees on the carpet for what reaon ill never know. The hook stabbed into his knee up to the bend in the hook. Since the shank was a funky shape, it was super tough getting it out. But when the ordeal was over, a can of coke-a-cola seemed to ease the pain. It usually does.

Anyone one ever got a no. 6 stimulater hook in your knee?

Well I must have dropped one on the carpet and along comes my little brother who promply drops to his knees on the carpet for what reaon ill never know. The hook stabbed into his knee up to the bend in the hook. Since the shank was a funky shape, it was super tough getting it out. But when the ordeal was over, a can of coke-a-cola seemed to ease the pain. It usually does.

I have pulled a midge out of a guys eyelid before, luckily he winked or it could have been in the eye ball itself. Cheers, Futzer.

wanna know what makes me mad? Is when im fishin a brushy bank using a side arm cast and the spin fishermen walk right by me in the middle of a cast and then they get mad at me for hooking them when its their falt :angry:

I was fishing a pool by a bridge on the Wolf River and I caught a 14" Brown Trout with the tail of a chub and some fishing line sticking out of his mouth. I pulled the 3" chub out of the Browns mouth and the fishing line was attached to a hook with a worm still on it in the chubs throat. Someone must have caught the chub and the cut thier line because the chub took the hook deep. The chub was probably injured and not in the best of shape so the Brownie saw him as an easy meal and gabbled him up. I also caught a Brown in that same area and when I was cleaning him he had something hard in his stomach. It turned out to be a triangular black rock with smooth edges almost an 1" long. I have no idea what he thought that was or how he was planning on passing it.