Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
littleman

winter natives

This morning my dad and i took a long walk through are woods following miles of creeks. we saw 6 natives one over 9 inches. we have never flyfished are streams but my father baitfished back their and caught 20 on worms. i was thinking of fishing back there this weekend because i have recently caught spring fever. i have no clue what to use fly wise, so i desperatly need your help. their all freestone creeks and the deepest hole is probably around two feet. please any patterns/sugestions for fishing these natives in cold water would help alot. thank you

This time of year try small dark nymphs like prince nymphs or stonefly nymphs in medium sizes like 12 to 14 or maybe 16 if you get refusals.

If its warm and cloudy you could try top water attractor patterns. My favorites are Royal Wulff's in 12 or 14 and yellow or orange stimulators in the same sizes.

Yellow Sallys also work really well in size 14 or 16 if the water is smoother.

If you're seeing a midge hatch try tiny parachute adams like size 18-22 over the slick water, but in small streams like that my experience has been to try to find fish holding spots and draw them to the surface with attractors.

My favorite way to fish these if the pools are deep enough is to strip a generic minnow imitation in size 8 or 10. Woolly buggers work but anything with marabou or craft fur is what I prefer. I can post a few patterns if you're interested.

All this information is pertinent to the Adirondack mountains but I have a feeling it will also translate into other areas. I've seen this stuff work on everything from wild browns and brookies to hold over rainbows. It even works on the young smallmouth bass that are prominent in a lot of the pocket water that I fish. Heck, I've had largemouth come take these flies... even if they WERE small.

Good luck and have fun! Small streams are some of my favorite streams to fish.

wow thanks for the info. today i went back their and lifted up some rocks, i counted 20 mayfly nymphs, one cased caddis, a stonefly and a hellgrimite. i cant wait to tye some up, thank u skyphix