Fly Tying
MontanaBound

Any one from Montana

This is really off topic for this forum, but that is what this place is for. my family and i were thinking about moving to montana if everything goes as planned over the next couple of years. was trying to look for job postings on the net as well as some towns that would be fitting for a young family of five to move to. Seems hard to find jobs if you have no idea where you are looking for a job. maybe someone could also burst my bubble and tell me whether people still do this (hire basically a farm hand or ranch hand and allow them to live in a extra house they have on the property. still paying some sort of rent or something, but also the job.) heard about a program like this when i was younger about 15 and 16, but was more for the oppertunity for a kid to get out and see what the real world was all about and to learn a bit about something new. if i remember it was more or less a summer job then. but now for me would need to be more perminant. does not have to be in Montana just in its surrounding area. i like that part of the country.

hope someone can help me out. maybe stupid questions all around.

thanks

This is really off topic for this forum, but that is what this place is for. my family and i were thinking about moving to montana if everything goes as planned over the next couple of years. was trying to look for job postings on the net as well as some towns that would be fitting for a young family of five to move to. Seems hard to find jobs if you have no idea where you are looking for a job. maybe someone could also burst my bubble and tell me whether people still do this (hire basically a farm hand or ranch hand and allow them to live in a extra house they have on the property. still paying some sort of rent or something, but also the job.) heard about a program like this when i was younger about 15 and 16, but was more for the oppertunity for a kid to get out and see what the real world was all about and to learn a bit about something new. if i remember it was more or less a summer job then. but now for me would need to be more perminant. does not have to be in Montana just in its surrounding area. i like that part of the country.

hope someone can help me out. maybe stupid questions all around.

thanks

bozeman jobs

My son is a freshman at Montana State and says jobs in the Bozeman area are pretty scarce. There is a ranch job available if you scroll through the listed jobs at this link.It includes housing and they prefer experience but it can't hurt to try. Sorry about the errant post, I had an emergency as I was about to post and forgot all about it.

Ok, I'll bite......hum.....family friendly, a job, and in Montana.........Are you independently wealthy? Joking....

Western Montana is tough; for jobs, reasonable housing, cost of living etc. When you get out to the less populated areas I think you can possibly find a job like you are talking about. Recently, while out antelope hunting in South W. Montana every ranch house I knocked on was inhabited by south of the boarder aliens, of the spanish speaking kind. Never have seen that before. I believe the ranchers are looking for cheaper labor???? Economy dictates!

You might check CraigsList or pull up online newspapers in areas that may interest you. North Central and North Eastern Montana has limited population and in the smaller towns real estate is cheaper, purchase or rent. It's just the jobs there that are scarce.

I wish I could offer you better advise or input but you have presented a pretty broad question/request.

What do you do for a living, maybe that would help narrow the search?

good luck!

t5f

Right now i am a truck driver, but i will be getting into law enforcement. no no independently wealthy, just want a better life for my family. We were involved in a car wreck, some one rear ended us at 65 mph. my son now has tramatic brain injury, and was hoping the kind of life out there would be more helpful to him and give him a better chance at a good life and able to fulfill himself, if you understand. Not real picky on jobs that is why such the broad ? but only training i have as of yet is cdl and will be getting into law enforcement like i mentioned earlier. not affraid of some good old fashioned hard work. anything to be able to give my family and son a better life. thanks everyone for you help so far.

I am sorry to hear about the accident and your son's injury.

I do wish you and your family the better life, there or here in Montana.

t5f

I made a decision that I would move to and live in Montana around the age of 12. Almost every other life decision like career choice centered,for me, around this idea. It was a driving passion kind of like getting into heaven is. I made it there the year I turned 29 when an opportunity presented itself. I lasted 3 years in Montana. As much as I loved the state ,liked the people and enjoyed the outdoor opportunities certain realities set in.

The cold. The tires froze off my car , even in the garage. The cold came into my house through the dryer hose...radiated out from it an killed my house plants. The lubrication on my guns froze them solid. I shot a duck then went straight to pick it up and found it was frozen solid. In other words there is cold and there is Montana cold especially east of the mountains. If you are used to it ...fine. Maybe you can cope or learn to cope. Sadly, I found that I could not. It can be a real danger and it is most definitely a factor in daily life. I made the observation...and the locals didn't much like it.:..That years when "summer" falls on a weekend...the entire state goes out to have picnic.

I found that waiting all those long months for the thaw to come then for the rivers to drop to a level where you can effectivley fly fish is a long, long, long time indeed. A great peroid for catching up on reading and tying flies but even those things grow old during a Montana winter . Then once the fishing becomes as great as it can be in Montana ...it is over in a matter of weeks and the cold begins again. I've almost always lived in places where you can fish the year round. A bit chilly in November -February but not frozen a solid as the artic ice cap.

The distance. Montana is a big place. They don't call it Big Sky for nothing. Most likely there will be good opportunities near you. Then maybe not. Private land is a limiting factor near towns and becomes more so every year. Certainly you will want to sample all the famous fishing places and that means a drive and usually a stiff drive at that. You ever drive on a road where you suddenly come to a stark upheavel ledge because of the freeze and thaw? Potholes are common. You'll see little white crosses along the roadways. Ask people what they are for! Fine..the drives are manageable provided you have the time. Working stiffs like I was usually don't.....especially considering the limited opportunities because of weather. Also consider that during the brief "summer" is when a lot of the work in Montana gets done. It isn't easy watching others going off to fish while you have to stay and work.

The crowds. Crowds you say? Ok...so the population of Montana is only a few hundred thousand spread over a huge chunk of territiory. That is the "winter" resident population. In the fishing season the population swells to the millions...3 million...last time I checked. Guess where all these millions are going to be. You got it...standing exactly where you wanted o fish 'cause they came for the same reason you did...and have read the same guide books.

I could go on and on but you should get the picture by now. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. My purpose was to give you the benefit of my experience and maybe you can prepare yourself more than I was for Montana. God knows I wish you well and I certainly hope you can succeeed where I could not.

I don't think ill of Montana . Oh No. I love it as much as ever. One of my prized possessions is my "I Love Montana button", displayed in my den.... but faded now with age. Montana for me was like a remarkably beautiful lady that one has a great passion for but simply can not live with.