Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Fly fishing on a super tight budget.

I walked into Walmart yesterday to buy a new shirt. Coffee and white shirts don't mix well. :wallbash: As I always do, I stopped to peruse the fishing gear. After browsing for about twenty minutes, there it was... An 8' Eagle Claw 6/7wt Fly Rod. The cost under $20.00. To top it off I found a dozen of the ugliest flies in a round dispenser, (They look like something I tied), for under $2.00. All that was missing was an inexpensive reel, backing and fly line. For under $50.00 someone on a tight budget could outfit themselves or their kids with a decent entry level setup. I've seen similar "Starter kits" in Dick's Sporting Goods. heck I even bought one for my son a few years ago. My thinking - I didn't lay out big money on a decent Rod and Reel if he didn't like fly fishing. Now I have to fight to keep him away from my custom built :rolleyes:

Last year I walked into Walmart (a rare occasion in and of itself) and wandered over to the fishing section, as usual. What did I find? 12 panfish poppers in a round plastic container for 2.75 and a rod and reel (8wt Sci Angler) with line, backing, and leader, on clearance for $30. I walked out with the rod combo, and the poppers are still up there fully stocked, so I'll probably grab some around spring time. I ended up not using the reel but the rod held up to two Chinook's this past October.

I also picked up my latest combo, an Albright 3/4 rod with a large arbor reel for ~$40 dollars during Albright's end of the year clearance. I've found fly line that got decent reviews in various places for ~$12 dollars. Perfect little small stream combo. That 3/4 rod casts beautifully with a 4wt line and the reel is a smooth as butter.

Everything I fish with with exception of an Orvis Mid Arbor reel for my 8wt was inexpensive. The lower rod in the following photo came in a package deal my wife bought me for our anniversary a year and a half ago for 100 dollars. That package included rod, reel, line, flies, and a knot guide. I caught many many fish on that combo and absolutely love it. I burned the drag up on a big smallmouth so I'll probably be getting another Mid Arbor (absolutely love that reel and can get good prices on them) some time soon, but the rod has taken a lot of abuse and held up extremely well. The upper rod in the photo is the 8wt I mentioned earlier, and the lower photo's are of the albright gear.

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

I dream of owning a custom rod, like one from Midwest Customs (Steve), and the prices are absolutely right, but my budget isn't... so I look for bargains and am happy with what I can afford.

- I didn't lay out big money on a decent Rod and Reel if he didn't like fly fishing

Hey if he doesn't like it at first, MAKE HIM DO IT anyway! He'll thank you later! :hyst:

Last year I walked into Walmart (a rare occasion in and of itself) and wandered over to the fishing section, as usual. What did I find? 12 panfish poppers in a round plastic container for 2.75 and a rod and reel (8wt Sci Angler) with line, backing, and leader, on clearance for $30. I walked out with the rod combo, and the poppers are still up there fully stocked, so I'll probably grab some around spring time. I ended up not using the reel but the rod held up to two Chinook's this past October.

I also picked up my latest combo, an Albright 3/4 rod with a large arbor reel for ~$40 dollars during Albright's end of the year clearance. I've found fly line that got decent reviews in various places for ~$12 dollars. Perfect little small stream combo. That 3/4 rod casts beautifully with a 4wt line and the reel is a smooth as butter.

Everything I fish with with exception of an Orvis Mid Arbor reel for my 8wt was inexpensive. The lower rod in the following photo came in a package deal my wife bought me for our anniversary a year and a half ago for 100 dollars. That package included rod, reel, line, flies, and a knot guide. I caught many many fish on that combo and absolutely love it. I burned the drag up on a big smallmouth so I'll probably be getting another Mid Arbor (absolutely love that reel and can get good prices on them) some time soon, but the rod has taken a lot of abuse and held up extremely well. The upper rod in the photo is the 8wt I mentioned earlier, and the lower photo's are of the albright gear.

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

I dream of owning a custom rod, like one from Midwest Customs (Steve), and the prices are absolutely right, but my budget isn't... so I look for bargains and am happy with what I can afford.

Same here and i agree you dont have to spend a ton of money, i have two 70 dollar rods and they work just as good and feel just as good as the couple of sage rods ive casted and my dad used to work with zebco so ive got lots of fly reels some defective but most of them are ok they are from the old martin company

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

Same here and i agree you dont have to spend a ton of money, i have two 70 dollar rods and they work just as good and feel just as good as the couple of sage rods ive casted and my dad used to work with zebco so ive got lots of fly reels some defective but most of them are ok they are from the old martin company

Good deal! My first fly rod was an Eagle Claw 8 ft (5/6 wt) that my father got me for a Christmas present. I caught my first fly-caught fish with that rod (see picture below).

post-4573-1235790530_thumb.jpg

Have Fun!

Now I'm going to show my age. My first fly rod was purchased at Two Guys in Union NJ. My Uncle took me there for my thirteenth birthday. For $60.00 we bought the Shakespear Fly Rod and Reel, fly line, poppers, tippet, dry flies, wet flies, a vest and net. Back in the 70's that was a whole lot of money. The Fly rod is long gone, but that fly reel is still being used to day. My custom built Rod cost me $80.00 it was built by a friends father. There is no doubt in my mind that he gave me a really good deal on the rod. I am tempted to go and get the Eagle Rod, I do a lot of camping and hiking with my son's Boy Scout troop and want an inexpensive setup to take along.

- I didn't lay out big money on a decent Rod and Reel if he didn't like fly fishing

Hey if he doesn't like it at first, MAKE HIM DO IT anyway! He'll thank you later! :hyst:

He'll be taking his fly rod to his Fishing Around Summer Camp this year. Since I setup my reel for right handed retrieval he'll be using my Shakespeare Omni reel and I get to use Johnson JF Reel :headbang:

Now I'm going to show my age. My first fly rod was purchased at Two Guys in Union NJ. My Uncle took me there for my thirteenth birthday. For $60.00 we bought the Shakespear Fly Rod and Reel, fly line, poppers, tippet, dry flies, wet flies, a vest and net. Back in the 70's that was a whole lot of money. The Fly rod is long gone, but that fly reel is still being used to day. My custom built Rod cost me $80.00 it was built by a friends father. There is no doubt in my mind that he gave me a really good deal on the rod. I am tempted to go and get the Eagle Rod, I do a lot of camping and hiking with my son's Boy Scout troop and want an inexpensive setup to take along.

"Two Guys"!!! I haven't heard mention of that place n a while!! I got my first spinning reel at the "Two Guys" in Chicopee Mass. back in the early-mid 70's.....it was a Penn 720.....still have it!

Mike

I grew up in Union and I remember "Two Guys" well. They had a good fishing dept. I got my Cortland 6wt and Medalist 1494 there for about 70 bucks (1978 price). I still have that rod and reel and fish them regularly.

Good thread. This has always been a sore spot with me. I'm a Boy Scout leader, and have been fly fishing for about 40 yrs. What irks me are the folks who insist on presenting flyfishing as an elitist sport, only for the wealthy with a knowledge of Latin. We offer the flyfishing merit badge at our Boy Scout Summer Camp. Last year, they had a adult instructor (who runs a fly shop) telling the boys they couldn't get a useable flyrod and reel for less that $700! $700! Now, what do you think the parents of an 11 year old are going to say when junior comes home and says he wants to try flyfishing, and he needs to shell out $700 for gear??

This sport, hobby, or whatever you want to call it, is just like a lot of others (Ham Radio comes to mind, median age is well over 50). It depends on the influx of our youth to survive. Attitudes like the above aren't going to do it.

When you get down to it, flyfishing is just another way to fish. It should not be treated as a "secret society" or exclusive club. The last thing we need to do is scare folks away.

That "thud" you just heard is me getting off my soapbox.

I live in SW La. and fly fishing is growing at a snails pace down here . I"m generally approached by bait fishermen when fly fishing from the bank . Most think fly fishing is very effective but too exspensive to get into. I tell them about the kits at Wal-Mart for under $30 . Comes with a fly rod ,reel, line ,backing , tippet and even some flies. I show then how easy it is to get the fly from point A to point B. Let them try it for themselves. And if they happen to catch a fish , there hooked. I tell them we are after panfish and they are'nt going to be impressed with a $200 rod or a $500 reel. You just need to get the fly where you want it.You can allways upgrade later. I think the movie "A River Runs Through It". Did alot along the lines of showing the pure artistic and almost Zen qualities of fly fishing that maybe scare away some good old boys from seeing its just another way to catch fish. If you came across me while bank fishing you certainly wouldn't think there was anything elitist about it.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with owning the finest equipment you can afford. I own some very exspensive tackle as well. I just saying its not nessecary to enjoy the sport. When I catch a 3lb crappie on a flyrod I'm going to take a picture of the fish not the name brand on the reel I used.

Fred

I have several fly rods and reels that costs less then the line on them. I fish trout, pan fish, large and small mouth bass, stripers, pike, walleye, and steelhead. I have never had a single fish complain about the rod or reel that brought them to hand. I personally think the Bass Pro Shops Hobbs Creek Large Arbor Fly reel is an excellent reel with a very smooth drag system and at 40 bucks, how can you lose.

It's interesting when you consider the cost of bass fishing gear, it's not unusual for people to pay $200 for a small bait caster and $150 for a rod, I don't think there is a bass fisherman out there that has just one outfit. Then of course you have all the baits, lures etc. Once someone becomes totally hooked you have the bass boat etc. etc. This is what the younger future fisher people see on the idiot box so I would hope with guidance they would join the growing fly fishing community where they can fish for so many different fish in all the waters without spending a fortune and maybe tie there own flies and enjoy a lifetime of learning. These young people are the future and I hope they get all the encouragement and good advice to maintain the fisheries in the future, I,ll get of my soap box now.