Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

THIN SKIN

Any one familiar with thin skin.I have been using it for wing cases and it is real bulky.Should i maybe cut a v shape at the tie in point near the head.Also,It bends upward on the side of the fly when tyed in.Any one know a cure for this.This is only the 2nd time i have tried dealing with this thin skin.It looks real good on some flies i have seen in the forum,any tips would be appreciated.

thanx

shane aka iso18

Any one familiar with thin skin.I have been using it for wing cases and it is real bulky.Should i maybe cut a v shape at the tie in point near the head.Also,It bends upward on the side of the fly when tyed in.Any one know a cure for this.This is only the 2nd time i have tried dealing with this thin skin.It looks real good on some flies i have seen in the forum,any tips would be appreciated.

thanx

shane aka iso18

I just stretch it when I tie it down so it conforms to the abdomen or thorax of the fly (I also rib it when I use it for the abdomen).

I agree that stuff is a bit bulky for smaller flies, DHISE has the right solution.

I have just started playing around with czech nymphs after buying all the stuff from Futzer's guy. The shellback they use for that is awesome, its very thin and stretchy and limp. I tried a few nymphs yesterday with that as a wingcase and it was great. Also a great timesaver since its sliced into strips already..anyway just a few thoughts.

I've never cared for it's thickness and when stretched how it looses it's color or printed pattern.

Try some micro thin foam from Hareline. It's comes in Tan,Black,Olive and White. Markers can be used on the white for any other color needed. Looks great with a coat of Soft Body"thin" by Angler's Choice.

I ordered 20 something packs of the foam from DHise with free shipping(thanks Dave!)

Brent

thanx

shane aka iso18

I just stretch it when I tie it down so it conforms to the abdomen or thorax of the fly (I also rib it when I use it for the abdomen).

I just plan on using it for wing cases.Do you mean stretch it before u tie it in or b4 u tie down?,I will b using it on #12 #14 nymphs

shane

I am a fan of thin skin! to answer you Q about why the sides are curving up when you Ty it in. wheal this is from Tying the thin skin up side down! there is ashely an up side and a down side to it. the side you see in the package is the up side so when you Ty it in turn it over Ty it in with your thread and then when your ready to make you wing case that should salve both of your problems!!!!!!!!!

tyrite

I am a fan of thin skin! to answer you Q about why the sides are curving up when you Ty it in. wheal this is from Tying the thin skin up side down! there is ashely an up side and a down side to it. the side you see in the package is the up side so when you Ty it in turn it over Ty it in with your thread and then when your ready to make you wing case that should salve both of your problems!!!!!!!!!

tyrite

thanx tyrite,will try that when i get home.Have been experimenting with some isonychia nymphs and the thin skin would make a real nice wing case if i can can get it to lay down perfect.thanx

shane aka iso18