Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cole

Tiemco Ceramic Tube Bobbin

Whats the difference? Could I buy the standard and be ok tying big flies with it. On paper they look exactly the same.

The "heavy" has the "legs" of the bobbin (the part that holds the actual bobbin) bent downwards, I guess to offset the spool and allow for great leverage when applying a lot pressure using heavy threads (or at least that's probably the theory). My understanding is that the ceramic tube has a wider diameter as well. If you tie a lot of big flies with heavy threads (e.g. saltwater w/ kevlar thread) I guess this feature might be useful. I wasn't able to find any dimensions for the bobbin, but I imagine it is a bit bigger than the standard ceramic bobbin as well. The "standard" would be fine for most applications but if you tie a lot of saltwater flies, the "heavy" would probably be better.

Cole,

The standard tubes are white and the heavy are black. The outer dimensions of the tubes and frames are about the same on both, but the inner thread holes are larger on the heavy to allow large size thread like kevlar and size A rod thread. Both can be had in either straight legs or bent. I have both standard and heavy in the Umpqua "Ergo" bobbins, which is made by Tiemco.They are a little cheaper and have a flat offset to keep the spool in the palm of the hand while tying. I have used 3/0 uni to 8/0 uni in the standard bobbin and size A rod thread in the heavy. No grooving or fraying of thread after 8+ years of use. I would highly recommend them. Well worth the money. :thumbup:

the limbs on the bobbin on the left are straight and thats the heavy duty one. the tube diameter is larger than the standard one on the right.

bobbins.jpg

Thanks guys, I am just going to order one of each.