Fly Tying
Atratus

The #1 bass fly?

QUOTE (sparkleminnow @ Aug 3 2004, 10:33 AM)
in my experience its all about the red tag... sets any bass off

I have fished all over for smallies, and I have found that the red tag is not a given. On an Indiana creek, a red faced white popper worked very well. On my home stream, the same red face on a streamer is totally unimportant. AND, pertaining to hybrid striped bass on my favorite tailrace, red will actually turn the fish off! I know that red is a great favorite of many, but I think that best colors absolutly change with region, water color, temp, available forage, and time of year. In my home waters, I can have my best success with pearl in the spring & fall, but olive is the best from late May-June. Black & blue in the summer, and brown w/chart tail, in the fall. Now that's for my water. For someone else in another region, they may have altogether different ideas of what works, in the way of colors. That might be why maunufacturers of soft plastic worms, grubs, tubes, etc., have 50+ colors to choose from.

Good to see you aboard sm!

When it comes to bass I am totally a top water flyfisherman. I like a bunny leech with a deerhair head that doesnt ride high and creates a nice v wake.

Color is important and fish preferences can change during the course of the day not just seasonal. Presenting your fly to the "strike zone" which may require multiple casts will get you more hookups in comparison to color change ups.

Since I'm new to the board, I'm going to guess that SmallieHunter is Will M? Anyway, Thanks, l.b.gills. I'll probably be around alot more in the winter/fly re-stocking months.

sparkleminnow,

Yea that is me. I have seen and spoke with you quite a bit over on RiverSmallies.com. Nice to see you around and we need all the warmwater guys we can get around here to ward off those sissy trout guys. wink.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble Will, but I go salmon fishing every fall in Wisconsin, rainbows and browns in the summer, steelhead in the spring(sometimes), and a few muskie thrown in for good measure. Then....there's WIPERS!!!! Yeah, smallies are cool, and far more dependable, but those wipers will darn near rip the rod from your hands if you're not paying attention! I've never caught anything that hits quite like 'em. Yeah....wipers, baby! Jumpy.gif

BTW, I've got a pattern for you that I was intending to send for a while, now. If you fish for smallies on the surface...you'll freak on this one! Trust me. thumbsup.gif

Although I got some reverse winged streamers and buck/rabbit tails for the deeper work, you just can't beat the unique "sucking" pop made by deerhairbugs, in the 3-2/0 sizes.

user posted image

Which reminds me of a problem. How do yous guys get sharp closeup pics of your flies for the detail. Special lenses or what? This is a big ol popper from 6" away, gotta get better than this, huh? Taken from Kodak Easy Share, 3.2, 37mm lens only about $125. I'm on a budget, he he.... Like to see some 18-20 midge pics! These bugs are 3/0, 2/0 stuff!

user posted image