Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Jumping into the frying pan with the Steeldrifter

After talking with Steve (steeldrifter) just got and thinking about my little point and shoot digital camera.

Needless to say I was jealous of the camera he acquired and couldn't be handy capped (digitally changed) on our fishing trips, when there was some fish pictures to be taken.

It seems like I went through all this before in my 20's when I was hooked on the latest and greatest 35 mm SLR's and still have many of the old lens and equipment even today, but at that time the sky was the limit, I had plenty of money to spend and I could use the excuse that I needed a good camera to record memories of our children as they grew up.

Today things have changed a bit, I don't have the excuse about the taken our children's pictures any more, there all grown up and reaching middle age there self’s, and I don't have the money like I did when I was working now that I am retired,

I don't think my wife understands about paying good money to take pictures of fish, I explained to here it's all part of catch and release and being able to save memories of the fish that were caught before releasing them back into the water, but I don't think that went over well, she probably still piss off about no getting a fish dinner now and them after a fishing trip.

So at great risk to bodily injury, I still figure I had to have a digital SLR, so I figured my criteria for the outfit that I would like and proceeded to surf the internet for the best deals.

What I wanted was a light weight camera, because I am getting old and didn't need to lug around a heavy whopper of a camera.

it also needed to have acceptable optics, and be in my price range (around 400 bucks) which would need to include a good lens.

So I just settled on a Olympus Evolt E-410 with a 14-42mm Lens, no doubt I will try to get a telephoto zoom in the near future

(After the smoke clears) :rolleyes:

OSD.

After talking with Steve (steeldrifter) just got and thinking about my little point and shoot digital camera.

Needless to say I was jealous of the camera he acquired and couldn't be handy capped (digitally changed) on our fishing trips, when there was some fish pictures to be taken.

It seems like I went through all this before in my 20's when I was hooked on the latest and greatest 35 mm SLR's and still have many of the old lens and equipment even today, but at that time the sky was the limit, I had plenty of money to spend and I could use the excuse that I needed a good camera to record memories of our children as they grew up.

Today things have changed a bit, I don't have the excuse about the taken our children's pictures any more, there all grown up and reaching middle age there self’s, and I don't have the money like I did when I was working now that I am retired,

I don't think my wife understands about paying good money to take pictures of fish, I explained to here it's all part of catch and release and being able to save memories of the fish that were caught before releasing them back into the water, but I don't think that went over well, she probably still piss off about no getting a fish dinner now and them after a fishing trip.

So at great risk to bodily injury, I still figure I had to have a digital SLR, so I figured my criteria for the outfit that I would like and proceeded to surf the internet for the best deals.

What I wanted was a light weight camera, because I am getting old and didn't need to lug around a heavy whopper of a camera.

it also needed to have acceptable optics, and be in my price range (around 400 bucks) which would need to include a good lens.

So I just settled on a Olympus Evolt E-410 with a 14-42mm Lens, no doubt I will try to get a telephoto zoom in the near future

(After the smoke clears) :rolleyes:

OSD.

I totally understand the pain of it all :) :)

Ok

The UPS man just visited me (good thing the wife was gone) B)

Well "Here it is"

olympusE410.jpg

And here is the first picture

bug.jpg

Good deal man looks nice :headbang:

UPS paid me a vist today as well, ext tubes and the DVD on the camera I ordered came awhile ago. Gotta love getting new stuff to play with.

I dunno, but I got a 2hr DVD in the mail today all about how to use all the features on mine and I just watched it this evning, and now I think I'm even more confussed than before I watched it :wallbash: :lol:

OOH A DSLR, NICE CAMERA - Be prepared to buy bigger lenses. :lol2: once the photo bug bites again. Just like beer you can't have just one. :hyst: :hyst: I believe you can find an affordable kit lens in the 28mm - 200mm range. The built in flash will only take you so far just like the 14mm - 42mm lens it has its limitations. Just like fishing you're gonna want more gear sooner or later. :cheers:

Hi Bob looks like a nice camera setup. For wildlife you will want something longer. Like something between a 300 to 500mm. It's all down hill from here. :rolleyes:

Jim

I'm just thinking fish pictures now maybe wildlife later

If I can't get the fish close enough to that there picture with a 70- 150 zoom, then I must be doing something wrong :dunno: