Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use a regal. I have had it for 15 years maybe and it is still just as good as the day I bought it. I think this is the simplest vice out there and would recommend it to anybody. No adjustments or turning knobs...just squeeze the handle... simplicity!

I am in the process of looking for a new rotary vice just because I've never tried one.

Hello, new here. Nice site. I started out with a Thompson A that came in a

tying kit from Dan Baileys. I then wanted a rotary and bought a "knock off"

rotary which was not a true rotary, a Gorilla. I am now either going with a

Peak or Griffin Odyssey true rotary. I want a c-clamp to adjust height. The

pedestal seems to put stress on my back reaching up. I didn't notice, does the

Peak c-clamp have a height adjustment?---John

ThompsonAvise.jpg

Gorillavise2.jpg

I started with a very inexpensive vise that my wife bought me from Hook & Hackle Co., I think they called it the "AA" vise at the time - came with two sets of jaws, adjustable head angle, and a rotary function, though it was not a "true" rotary. It was a good vise to learn to tie on - versatile, sturdy and user-friendly. After 3 or 4 years it was getting hard to adjust the tension on the jaws - the mechanism for this on the vise was not so well-made - and eventually it just couldn't be made to hold a hook so that it wouldn't slip.

Upgraded (significantly!) to a Regal and that took care of any and all hook-holding problems and no mistake. Got the c-clamp but eventually bought the shorter stem so it could be converted to a pedestal vise and liked it better this way. It's a beauty, still sitting in a place of honor on my bench, ready to be called into service when I need serious hook holding power for big hooks (although I tied down to size 20 on it for years with no problem).

A few years ago I bought a Danvise, wanting to try a true rotary but not wanting to drop big bucks on one until I decided if the rotary function would be worth the expenditure. I really, really liked that vise -- that's why the Regal got relegated to heavy-duty jobs involving big hooks. For the money (about $80 at the time), it was a terrific bargain. One thing that mildly irritated me about the Danvise, though, was all the plastic ("Delrin") parts. I could never get the nut that tightened the stem into place in the c-clamp completely tight, so the stem always had about 1/4" of side-to-side play in it. It didn't seriously interfere with my tying, but it was always there and it annoyed me. You know how it is. The other thing was the odd-sized stem. It didn't fit my pedestal base, and none of the many accessories out there that fit every other vise in the universe would fit the Danvise. It's a little like being stuck with a VHS in the Blu-Ray era.

Then, last weekend, with the money I earned from the publication of my first-ever fly fishing article, I drove up to Grayling and purchased a new Peak Rotary pedestal base model. I'm still getting to know it, but so far we're getting along great. Very solid tool, holds the hook sizes I tie on most (6-16) rock solid, very little screwing around with the jaws required, and Peak makes lots and lots and lots of add-on gadgets for it. :) This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I recently upgraded from a cheap Cabela's kit vice that has worked pretty well for the last few years but decided to give to my daughter since she's getting interested in tying. Just bought an anvil atlas a few months ago and so far I love it. Very solid and really holds larger saltwater hooks well.

I was given an old vise [circa 1940s to 1950s]. The name is partially worn off. All I can make out on the top is __pha c__p, LI SP____, __verdale, NJ or NY

Does anyone have any idea of the vise name or manufacturer. It is a right-handed, single post rotary model. It is a very simple vise.

Magic Man

I was given an old vise [circa 1940s to 1950s]. The name is partially worn off. All I can make out on the top is __pha c__p, LI SP____, __verdale, NJ or NY

Does anyone have any idea of the vise name or manufacturer. It is a right-handed, single post rotary model. It is a very simple vise.

Magic Man

Any photos? They would likely go a long way in helping with an ID

I use a Dyna-King Prince and love it. It does what it should without getting in the way or being complicated.

Anvil Apex. Though I am considering an upgrade to Anvil Atlas for true axial hook shank rotation.

Why: I got it for a good price (used). I like the rock solid feel. A times I feel the left hand gets a little crowded, especially on smaller hooks.

I have not tried other rotary vises to compare. Might be a different story.

Jimboha!

I have went through 4 cheaper vises in the last few years and finally bought a Renzetti traveler last year. Its ok for most ties, but I have a problem getting my hand where I need it to hold materials on the little flies that I like to tie. Tying a bass bug is almost out of the question with the pedestal base because it tips or drags across my desk. I am considering a Griffin Patriot or an HMH in the near future to give me more clearance for those size 20 and smaller that I like to tie. I got so used to a non-rotary vise that I hardly use the feature anyway. Thanks and Take Care,

...<snip>

I am considering a Griffin Patriot or an HMH in the near future to give me more clearance for those size 20 and smaller that I like to tie. I got so used to a non-rotary vise that I hardly use the feature anyway. Thanks and Take Care,

Griffin discontinued the Patriot, so you may need to hunt to find one. In addition to a couple other vises, I have a Patriot and an early HMH.

If you need hook holding power, the Patriot has plenty...and then some. Adjustment is via two screws rather than the single screw used on your Traveler and many similar jaws. Much like an engineer's clamp, those two screws allow you to get the jaws near parallel for maximum contact with the hook surface before actuating the cam. It takes little cam pressure to get a superior grip. I don't recall ever having a hook damaged (finish or otherwise) or slip in the Patriot jaws.

I'd say 99.5% of my tying is on #2 to #18 hooks. Though I haven't used my Patriot much for a while, when I did it was typically for steelhead/bass/streamer flies. The standard jaw should be good down to #20; maybe smaller, but I don't tie those. Griffin offered two optional jaws for the Patriot, including a fine tapered jaw for the little guys. All jaws were stainless, IIRC.

If you need "bling," get the HMH; the Patriot is terribly homely in comparison. The finish on the Patriot will wear to a patina over the years, whereas the HMH will polish to a handsome shine for decades. But, functionally, it has nothing over the Patriot.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really know why I tie so many tiny flies because I usually fish in the size 14 to 18 range. I have boxes with tiny mayflys and midges that I know I will never use. But its fun I guess. I like to see people squint to try and see them. I will make a decision on another vise eventually.

The Renzetti Traveler is a light weight vise designed for ... ta da ... traveling. If you want a heavy duty vise that stays put, you need to move up to a Renzetti Presentation 4000 with the saltwater base.

Of course there are other good vises in the same price range ....

Started with a Thompson A, switched to a Regal for about 7 years, then picked up a Renzetti Traveler that my neighbor was unloading (he had just bought a Master) for $50. Although I don't really exploit the Renzetti's rotary function to the fullest, it does everything I want in a vise; use it for everything from midges to 5/0 saltwater flies. I've thought about swapping the jaws for the cam version but have always found other things to put that money toward and really don't feel I'm operating at a disadvantage.

Regards,

Scott