Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For home tying - Dyna-king barracuda pedestal.

For travel tying kit, Renzetti traveler C-clamp (pedestal would take up too much "air-baggage weight).

Perfect combo for me....

I did use Danvise but I got Hmh spartan as a Christmas present from my boss, + the tube converter kit. I rly love the Hmh and I have been tying commercially on it at the tackle store where I work.

I started trying years ago on a cheap vise, it did well but I wanted to upgrade so I bought a Danvise. Used it for a few years and then went to the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in Detroit and met Norm Norlander, watched him tie flys so quickly on his vise.....well I ended up buying the vise he was using that weekend and still use it today. Norm even sent me an upgrade kit for it this year.

I also got a HMH Spartan for Christmas. I have a Standard, as well as a Renzetti Master, but really like the Spartan. I see no reason to have the Standard vise, which is a great vise and especially for larger flies...just wish I'd had this one first.

I just bought a Dyna-King Professional. A really awesome vise. I have been using it for a few months and has been great with everything. Tied midges down to 20 and clousers up to size 8. Holds like a champ. If you set it in a flat position it acts like a rotary. I like the versatility a lot. It is also just rock solid.

Went from a kit vise to a cheap rotary and now I have the Nor-Vise. Something to be said for using a true rotary vise that will spin like that for dubbing, threading, etc. Have used other nice vises but the Nor-Vise is by far the most helpful and innovative.

Renzetti Traveler. it's perfect. so there ...

Seriously, I love it. #1 reason is budget. Given no constraints, I'd go with something else though I wouldn't really know why.

The thumbscrews have a tendency to loosen up during tying; that's not much of an inconvenience, but I have to adjust frequently. I like the lever clamp - it works fine. It is a "true" rotary, which I like, which means it positions the hook shank horizontally and on the axis of the vise's rotation. It keeps the hook horizontally positioned throughout rotation. I do love this feature.

I had a Dyna King non-rotary; gave it away because I wanted to discipline myself to one rig. The Traveler indeed lets me travel with it, but then so do a lot of vises I'd consider today. I do prefer rotary and find it to my taste. The Traveler is well tuned as a rotary, works well.

I used to (plan to start up again) tie commercially. I tied everything from size 14 (smallest) trout flies to 1/0 bass flies commercially; streamers, poppers, buggers, drys. The rotary feature came in handy because I did a mess of bugger-style patterns and using the rotary made chenille winding a snap. The Traveler held large and small (#22 hooks for my personal use) hooks just fine. Drawback on hair spinning though, when compressing a wound clump the hook sometimes rotates in the clamp from the pressure. Again, no biggy, just have to re-clamp the hook. A bit annoying perhaps.

What I may actually do in the future is purchase something like the HMH non-rotary to handle clousers, half-and-halfs, and that ilk of streamer class productions, and poppers. With the right jaws it would do better with hair as well.

In a really gluttonous mood for avarice I would upgrade my rotary to the Renzetti Presentation or Master. I might ask my wife for this for Xmas if I can be good this year. I may have to throw in a new roof to get begging rights.

My Traveler, however, has done everything I've asked for. I believe if one uses a particular vise long enough, you develop the habits to overcome the slightly annoying quirks such that they aren't that noticeable.

I use the Danvise. This is my first vise and have been using it for about nine months. I bought the extension arm and it has helped my tying.

If anyone is interested, I know of a shop closing out ALL their fly tying equipment. They have several Renzetti vises at 50% off. I have no connection to or financial interest in this shop. The shop is Mosquito Creek Outdoors in Florida. Last time I checked, they had about a half dozen. Call their 800 number to find out what is still in stock (if any.)

Hi dear all,

I decided that if I can tie my on flies, I can also build my on vise. In addition it didn't came to my mind to pay $200 for a vise. It was a lot of work. However, it turned out to be amazing! It is even the case that a friend of mine also wanted a customized vise. He is totally satisfied with that one. Oh, and by the way it is also a rotary vise.

Tight Lines!

Hi all,

New to the forum. I use a Dyna King Barracuda I got for a gift from some very generous folks. Great vise but it did take some getting used to. Took me a bit to figure out getting the hook in the jaws right. It will bust a hook in nothing flat, I have several "display flies" with no hook after the bend. Haha

Hi Guys,

Well, the last time I responded to this I said I was using a Renzetti vise, and I also said that they looked almost delicate. Well, I found out they are delicate, right after I broke the machine screw that you turn to hold your hook before cranking down on it. Yeah, that screw snapped right off....however, luck was with me, so to speak, carried the broken screw to HD and just happened to find a perfect replacement. This is after numerous attempts to contact the manufacturer of the vise, Renzetti. They did not seem to want my business though because in 4 different attempts to contact them, they ignored every one. And I waited over a week for someone to contact me, nope, never happened, still haven't contacted me and that was a few months ago.

So, before finding the replacement screw at HD I was hearbroken, my brand new vise, useless because I am an idiot. What to do? What to do? So, went and bought one of the new Danvise full rotary models, the one made of advanced plastic material. Well,, I have loved that new vise, kept using it even after I fixed the Renzetti vise. I need to get a hold of that extension arm they are offering for the Danvise, and that will make it almost perfect.

So, I am a believer in the new Danvise Rotary. If you are looking for an inexpensive full rotary vise, recommend you give the Danvise a try.

What a coincidence. Just today at noon I had correspondence with a Renzetti parts person. At first try, she was gone to lunch, but she called me back after she got back to her office.

My vise is an early model, and when I bought parts to replace the two adjustment nuts (for cosmetic reasons,) they'd updated the interior rotary system and I didn't quite get the info, as mine hasn't given me any problems for probably 12-15 years.

Bottom line is they were responsive and helpful and easy to get in touch with. An excellent product and good customer service.