Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog5485

TYING AREA

HELLO GENT & LADIES,

I am looking for suggestions on what do with my tying area, right now I tye out on the kitchen table by way of a cutting board bench that I made for myself, with the help of my Pops because my woodworking skills aren't as good as my fly tying skills lol. Anyway I am looking to get an L - Desk to put in the corner of the room to run the laptop on so it can be handy and also have the spot to tye... now before you burn me I did see the post that Bruce has put of I was wondering if anyone else has a set up like this.... I need enough room because normally I run two vises a griffin blackfoot Mongoose with the Dyna King extension arm and a Nor Vise that is mounted on a profile board. I m looking to organize material in or on small peg board, and various boxes.... If any one could please give me an idea as to were I could get a desent L style desk it would be appreciated.... Staples had one but its quality seemed suspect.... any way thanks again for the help guys or if you could provide a picture of a similar set up it would help !

Kevin

tying space isn't an issue at our place...FF13 and I have half of our garage dedicated to rods, gear, and tying stations...I know, no help, as usual, but you may try second hand furniture shops, Salvation Army and Goodwill thrift stores are great places to find such treasures with a lot of goods years left in them...I have a huge computer station that I have converted into my area...was given to me by a lady who was getting divorced. She called me and said, "The asshole says he has to have help to move this desk. Come get it and it's yours." So....now it's mine!

She called me and said, "The asshole says he has to have help to move this desk. Come get it and it's yours." So....now it's mine!

Oh, my gosh, BigDaddy, that's funny. But how long before that computer station is loaded down with diaper bags and baby toys?

Kevin...I'm no help either. I have a 14x16 "tying shop" I built last year. Before that, when I tied (which was seldom), I did it on a TV tray. I kept all my materials in a big black case (at one time I think it was a trumpet case or something). I'd have to drag everything out and dig through it all to find what I needed. If you don't have an extra room, maybe hit your Pops up to help you build an addition. :j_k: Actually, you don't have to have half a garage or a 14x16 shop. Ideally, you just need a "tying space" that you can call your own. A corner like you're talking about is fine, so long as you can leave your vise in place and organize your materials close by. You'll be amazed at how much more frequently you'll tie if you don't have to drag out everything and set up every single time. Even if its dorm-room furniture (i.e. a couple of 2X6's laid across some old milk crates).

Mike

I shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a decent L shaped desk. The local classifieds or the shops like Big Daddy mentioned would be definitly worth a peek. Since you're putting in a corner, space for pegboard would be pretty the entire wall in front of you :devil:

The only bit of advice i could offer would be to try and situate it so you can see out a window without pulling having to pull an exorcist trick, and lots of natural light. Being crammed in a dark corner in the basement somewhere staring at walls will do nothing for the motivation and lots for the frustration.

Cheers and good luck!

I shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a decent L shaped desk. The local classifieds or the shops like BigDaddy mentioned would be definitly worth a peek. Since you're putting in a corner, space for pegboard would be pretty the entire wall in front of you :devil:

The only bit of advice i could offer would be to try and situate it so you can see out a window without having to pull an exorcist trick, and lots of natural light. Being crammed in a dark corner in the basement somewhere staring at walls will do nothing for the motivation and lots for the frustration.

Cheers and good luck!

L shaped desk is a fine idea. As for Peg board, I like to keep more mobile, so I use those plastic crates and shelves. I always take my tying stuff on trips and out to tie with friends, atleast a mobile sized kit. For space I now take up over 700 sq feet, so keep a growth plan in mind.

Cheers, Futzer.

I love to look at those pics. I can only dream of a room like that.

You should also try Craigslist. I'd love to do a rolltop desk. I made mine and like it for now.

Jeremy

In my basement, the previous owner had left a old work bench which I've partially stripped, now I need the belt sander to smooth it out and varnish it. He also left some old cupboards right above it plus the table is a perfect height. I have a craft bag from michaels I got for half price with pockets that fit material perfectly and a couple of large pouches. the plastic containers for screws,crafts that plano make: http://www.planomolding.com/tackle/

you have to make it work for only one person-you. I went to a flyshop with the intention of buying a nice tying table and such. the owner knew me and knew my budget and suggested canadian tire for the plano stuff. ideal storage for at home or on the lake.

the biggest problem is we tyers collect stuff, then collect more :wallbash:

Once I'm done I'll post a pic

marc

Okay after I got thinking about this last night for a while I went to staples and picked up an L desk.... east to say it did not fit like i wanted it to and I returned in. Picked up a couple of oragnizers and what not from wally world and adjusted the computer desk that I was using for just my laptop and this is what I developed let me know what you think of this....I am actually quite happy with the outcome and it works decently!

Kevin

post-20612-1249183710_thumb.jpg

post-20612-1249183681_thumb.jpg

Here is the overall picture of what it looks like !

post-20612-1249183963_thumb.jpg

Here is the 12 foot bass boat I picked up this spring

post-20612-1249184036_thumb.jpg

kevin