7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

cheers

L

Very nice flymphs! I generally tye my hackle in first with the butt to the rear and the tip out over the eye. This minimizes bulk behind the eye and permits you to make a smaller head (especially in small flies.) But the heads on your flies look just right!

Your step-by-step shows you have wound the rib before wrapping the hackle. I like to use my rib (usually just my tying thread) to catch down the last turn of hackle. Then I wrap my thread forward, through the hackle to reinforce it. This will protect the fragile hackle stem from the trout's teeth.

LuciV -Beautiful flymphs. Flymphs are close to my heart as far as flies go. Pete Hidy coined the term and supplied some clues to tying them in the definition. Pete was a friend and understudy of Leisenring who did list a specific way to tie wingless wets. I believe to be a flymph a fly must have some of the characteristics found in Hidy's definition.

Wingless

Soft translucent body of fur or wool which blend with a silk underbody color when wet.

Soft hackle

imitates a insect

If you look at flymphs tied by Hidy though you can find a little more information on what he found important in a flymph.

Sparse tail, just a couple fibers. Thread showing at rear of body. Dubbing loop, sparse enough to see thread color throughout the strand. Nice taper to match shape of the insect being imitated. Hackle tied palmered or at front and sparse. Hidy also preferred to tie his flymphs on up eye hooks.

You have tied some beautiful wets for sure. For a flymph though I prefer to tie more thread color at the rear of the body, a little less dubbing and a little more taper to the body and just a bit less palmer kept in the front 1/4 of the fly.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your flymphs, they are true to the definition and wonderful ties. Great photos also. I was just putting together a flymph tutorial but you beat me to it. This is a great time of the year for them, best of luck.

Carl