Fly Tying
Floyd

More Eyes

post-1533-1251754517_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1251754562_thumb.jpg

I've been playing around again. This time it's with those ball top straight pins. The pins on these flies have glass balls. This thought just came to mine while bumming around Wal Mart. Those pins look like they may make great looking eyes. I just bent the pins to about a 45 degree angle just under the ball and cut the pin to length. I haven't come up with much with these but I'm sure there are tiers on this foram who can run with this idea.

The pins that I bought were glass so I don't think they will hold paint but I seen a lot of the pins were made from plastic so they might hold paint.

Those are cool Floyd. Do you think they will take paint or markers well?

Fred

i bought a round hair brush from the dollar store cut off the little bristles and burn the cut end

bam you got very small mono eyes with a very tight gap between the eyes to fit small hooks

sometimes i burn both ends to make them a little more even

this works way better than burning mono and is far cheaper than buying fly eyes

Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give it a try. :thumbsup:

i bought a round hair brush from the dollar store cut off the little bristles and burn the cut end

bam you got very small mono eyes with a very tight gap between the eyes to fit small hooks

Put one or two (depending on thickness) black bristle pieces through a couple of glass beads and burn in both ends. Dumbell glass eyes with black pupils.

Fishy Fullum ties a Pin Head Popper using those types of pins. He has an interesting way of tying them in as well. Here's a video:

TxEngr

we use the colored pins as eyes for or foam bodied bugs and our poppers. the yellow ones with a marker colored pupil makes a great eye for the frog poppers.