Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Andrews15r

It would rather die???

I was casting to a small rainbow trout using a #22 Trico when all of a sudden it went from surface feeding to belly up and floated down the river, has anyone ever experienced this before, and if so, do you know why it happens?

- Andrew

Andrew,

Any predator fish in the water? Browns or Bulls? Maybe one hit it and it floated belly up?

Just a thought.

Rob

It was the often-rumored cross between a trout and a hognose snake. You were there casting to it, and it realized the danger- so it rolled over and played dead. Benefit of also being in moving water, so it just floated downstream until out of sight.

It was the often-rumored cross between a trout and a hognose snake. You were there casting to it, and it realized the danger- so it rolled over and played dead. Benefit of also being in moving water, so it just floated downstream until out of sight.

:hyst: :hyst:

Hi Andrew, My guess is water temp too high or lack of available oxygen. The trout may have been gulping at the surface to get some O2 vs feeding. I have seen this before in the West when stream flows are too low. There is a small creek near my house and most years now it fish kills in late July or August, just to water the golf courses around here. Go figure.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hi Andrew, My guess is water temp too high or lack of available oxygen. The trout may have been gulping at the surface to get some O2 vs feeding. I have seen this before in the West when stream flows are too low. There is a small creek near my house and most years now it fish kills in late July or August, just to water the golf courses around here. Go figure.

Cheers, Futzer.

Sounds right to me!

Rob

Anyone know how to remove diet cherry coke shot out one's nose from a keyboard and monitor???

Thanks J. :hyst: :lol:

Anyone know how to remove diet cherry coke shot out one's nose from a keyboard and monitor???

Thanks J. :hyst: :lol:

And what do we learn from this episode boys and girls....Some peoples post are not to be read with beverage in hand or mouth... :hyst:

And what do we learn from this episode boys and girls....Some peoples post are not to be read with beverage in hand or mouth... :hyst:

:headbang:

The only other fish in there are Carp, I suppose the theory of it pretending to die may be a possibility. Futzer, it is in the South Platte (Eleven Mile Canyon) so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the water temp, but maybe your oxygen theory could be accurate because the water flow was fairly low.

The only other fish in there are Carp, I suppose the theory of it pretending to die may be a possibility. Futzer, it is in the South Platte (Eleven Mile Canyon) so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the water temp, but maybe your oxygen theory could be accurate because the water flow was fairly low.

Weird, you are right temp was fine. I have trouble thinking flow was that low. Keep an eye on the area for a larger kill. Maybe a chemical spill or thermal activity, but most likely one of those things that make you go Hmmmm.

Cheers, Jeff.

Weird, you are right temp was fine. I have trouble thinking flow was that low. Keep an eye on the area for a larger kill. Maybe a chemical spill or thermal activity, but most likely one of those things that make you go Hmmmm.

Cheers, Jeff.

I was up there yesterday and didn't see any dead fish, in fact they were all surface feeding (at least 24 of them were :)) So I am thinking it was probably just that fish's time, but it is still weird...