Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Great Lakes Freak

crab/crawfish claw cutter

Does anybody know where I can get a cutter that cuts claw? Most places just sell body cutters and I,m having a hard time finding one.I was told by the local fly shop that there is only one guy who makes them. I find it hard to believe that there is only one person in the whole country that makes them.

I would think a pair of garden scissors or small electronic coax cutter would to the trick. On Crawfish I use my Able pliers. Never have cut crab claws myself, except ones headed for drawn butter.

Cheers, Futzer.

Chuck Kraft owns Kreel Tackle, and makes claws for crawdads. I purchased a pack, then cut claws with a pair of scissors from the tracings I made. I used chamois pieces, not the nice square cloths that are too much $$$.

Here's the link to Chuck's site: http://www.kreeltackle.com/tyingmaterials.html

Check out his Clawdad pattern. I tie it and fish it for smallmouth, largemouth, and browns.

Regards,

Streamer

Steelie is correct river road made me a crayfish claw cutter. What are you looking to cut with it though? The cutters work great on foam. Ultra suede, not so much!

Hey GLF, I really need to get more sleep, I thought you were cutting live crawfish and crab claws off. LOL. As for tying flies try the Montana FLy co. they do custom cutters for materials. too.

Cheers Futzer