Fly Tying
jwhop3

Any recipe for Dover's Peach?

I got two of these at the local Orvis in Roanoke, read about them in Beau Beasely's Fly Fishing in VA book, and tried them out on the Upper James River in Buchanan.

Freaking Awesome! Everything was hitting it. Smallies, redeye, sunfish, even carp were takking a swing at it. I have one left, and I can't bring myself to disect it to see its innards. Anyone have a pattern for this?

John H

Rocky Mount, VA

looks a lot like some variation of a "Sparkle Minnow". Looks like a marabou tail with some krystal flash, and a body made of Estaz, or some other flashy sparkly stuff. Maybe even some synthetic thing spun up in a loop and then trimmed. I doubt that though, it wouldn't cost $1.25. From the small pic, it looks relatively simple. There might be lead wire wrapped on the shank, or maybe not, and it has a gold cone head. Finding stuff in the Peach color might be the hardest part of the fly. J Stockard has Polar Chenille in "shell pink" which is pretty close.

I figured it out, by asking the extremely helpful associate, Tom at Orvis. Go figure. Never expected him to give up a trade secret, but offered it to me along with tying tips. Yes, it is a wire-wrapped shank covered with fl. orange thread, then a peach or reddish maribou tail with a strand of crystal flash, and a palmered peach estaz body leading to a brss cone head. Tom says his manufacturer rams the wire up to the conehead to lock it down, but the original design by Mr. Dover left it loose enough so that the cone could spin freely on the shank. Also, the estaz has a direction to it, when you palmer it, make sure the fibers are laying back toward the hook end. Also, mash that barb, cause the perch are gonna swallow that thing.

Here's a link with a picture of 1. funny thing I was using something very similar in green today and the bass loved it. here I am thinking I wasa genius at the vice LOL!

http://www.dsflies.com/index.php?main_page...products_id=428

Good Day,

Indeed, reminds me of Norm Zigglers Shminnow. Differences beig the color (white) and Norm uses mono eyes not a cone.

Steelie

Now if you added legs it would drive the bass wild...

Legs not needed, they crap themselves when they see it now.

I got some seriously violent hits, never even thought about setting the hook.

I finally found the reference I had been looking for. This fly imitates the Crane Fly larvae, patterned by Dover England while fishing for trout in Beaver Dam Falls. A school of trout nosing around the bottom refused everything he threw at them, so he scooped up the silty bottom to see what they were grunging for and found these.

I tie these in a pearl estaz/white with mono and bead chain eyes. I also tied a few with rootbeer estaze and 2 squirrel zonkers spread

like claws with beadchain eyes as a crawfish for carp. Haven't yet had the chance to see if they will work but I think they will catch a few.

Orange for carp.. Good idea.

I tie these in pearl with silver bead head and a small white craft fur tail for the tail on a number 10 streamer hook.

And I also found out last night that if you incorporate pink marabou at the tail and some ticking out over the eye of the hook, the crappies loved it along with the largemouth..

Good post.. Id post pictures but I have yet to figure it out with this phone.. Thanks guys.

I figured it out, by asking the extremely helpful associate, Tom at Orvis. Go figure. Never expected him to give up a trade secret, but offered it to me along with tying tips. Yes, it is a wire-wrapped shank covered with fl. orange thread, then a peach or reddish maribou tail with a strand of crystal flash, and a palmered peach estaz body leading to a brss cone head. Tom says his manufacturer rams the wire up to the conehead to lock it down, but the original design by Mr. Dover left it loose enough so that the cone could spin freely on the shank. Also, the estaz has a direction to it, when you palmer it, make sure the fibers are laying back toward the hook end. Also, mash that barb, cause the perch are gonna swallow that thing.

That's not much of a secret LOL. It's basically what used to be called a blossom fly tied with modern materials and a cone head instead of wrapped lead wire. (for the weighted version - they were also tied unweighted) They've been around forever and every so often, somebody reinvents them and gives them a new name. I think Mark Sosin gets the credit for the original. The main thing is that they work as well as they ever have.