Fly Tying
blakejd

Got called out today

Don't worry about being caught being a liar; The old guy probably just thought you are a crappy fisherman!25r30wi.gif

I am a crappy fisherman.

perhaps you (we :rolleyes: ) don't tell the WHOLE truth every time...

Dont worry, everyone who fishes knows that "just checking it out, not much there" means that theres tons of fish.

You're not hiding anything, love fisherman with "secret spots"...lol

I have a spot where i have NEVER seen another fly-caster...a couple of the local kids ckucking bait, but seldom even on that. It is a very local spot not 1 mile from my front door...i have told a bunch of fellow fly-casters about it and every time they give me either, the "scared to death" look, or the "you gotta be s___in me" look. The problem with my spot is that it is right across the road from a housing project and the park at the lower end of this section of the Arkansas river is well known as a gang and drug dealer hang-out...Even the security guards that cruise the public works next to the park look at me like i am totally crazy, but they don't chase me off like any-one else who parks by their fence. I have even seen the security take pics on their phones when i come back carrying trout...one even told me he was glad some-one had the guts to come down and try to give the area a good name. But try as i might i have never been able to get another fly-fisher to join me in this area. The absolute HILARIOUS part of it is that on the other side of the river, on top of the hill, is a very exclusive gated community of luxury condos, occasionally some-one will stand out on their deck and point at me...but no-one has ever come down to join me. And the public works spent a fortune building up nice holes with boulders for some kind of flow control...it is a GREAT place...to me anyway.

I have a spot where i have NEVER seen another fly-caster...a couple of the local kids ckucking bait, but seldom even on that. It is a very local spot not 1 mile from my front door...i have told a bunch of fellow fly-casters about it and every time they give me either, the "scared to death" look, or the "you gotta be s___in me" look. The problem with my spot is that it is right across the road from a housing project and the park at the lower end of this section of the Arkansas river is well known as a gang and drug dealer hang-out...Even the security guards that cruise the public works next to the park look at me like i am totally crazy, but they don't chase me off like any-one else who parks by their fence. I have even seen the security take pics on their phones when i come back carrying trout...one even told me he was glad some-one had the guts to come down and try to give the area a good name. But try as i might i have never been able to get another fly-fisher to join me in this area. The absolute HILARIOUS part of it is that on the other side of the river, on top of the hill, is a very exclusive gated community of luxury condos, occasionally some-one will stand out on their deck and point at me...but no-one has ever come down to join me. And the public works spent a fortune building up nice holes with boulders for some kind of flow control...it is a GREAT place...to me anyway.

I know where your talking about. I actually got some beta on that area recently and was planning on testing the waters This winter. I'm a student at CSU so I figured since I'm down there why not. Thugs don't bother me but I generally try to appear as if I'm better left along to those types.

I know where your talking about. I actually got some beta on that area recently and was planning on testing the waters This winter. I'm a student at CSU so I figured since I'm down there why not. Thugs don't bother me but I generally try to appear as if I'm better left along to those types.

Just take 24th street to it's very end, then go under the bridge,to the right, and take the dirt road left till you get to the parking lot. I would say go over to my spot, but i am sure security would hassle you till they get to know you. I usually park about 100yards up from there right before the bike path goes over a little bridge...Security usually watches my kia there for me. From there up, for the next mile or so, is VERY seldom fished with about 30 great little holes. It is only worth while if the water flow is down...right now evening caddis hatches are a blast if you use a very small brown caddis imitation. This last year i have noticed a lot of rainbows in the 4-8inch range that must have been bred there abouts. You get mostly stocker sized bows in 12-14 inch range that have come down from the heavier fished areas below the dam. An occasional (but increasing number of) mid sized brown and the rare monster around 5+lbs. Pistol petes durring the afternoons get the browns...almost anything goes as hatches start near sunset. Mornings are really hard/slow through there??? i haven't figured that out yet. Let me know if you do. After the hard freeze it is mostly nymphs only and slow till late April.

If you see him, tell Jack Salhiemer (sp?), dean of math/science at usc (sorry i refuse to rename my school...might start scsc again if not careful) Hello for me(Todd)...tell him it is actually better than my aunts place in Cotapaxi...heck of a lot closer to boot...maybe i/we can get another day or 2 fishing with him. Hope to meet you there. I might go there Tuesday...or san isabel.

I usually just defer to the weather - "It's a great day to be out. Glad I had time to get out a little. yada yada yada" They can take it however they want.

Deeky

Hi, blakejd. I found a nice little "hole" along the bank of the Norfork Saturday

afternoon in the C&R area. The rainbows were gathered together in a big group,

and I was pulling some nice ones out pretty consistently. I noticed several of

the other guys along that stretch watching every time I hooked one and inching

closer and closer. When it got to the point I had to leave, I looked around and

saw an older gentleman, probably in his mid-70's, carefully wading into the water and

looking up and down the river as though he were lost. I caught his attention and waved him over.

It took him a while to unfold his staff and shuffle over to where I was, but when he finally

made it, I asked him if you was just starting out fishing for the day. Not only was he

just starting out for the day, he'd only been fly fishing for a couple of months and it was

his first trip to the White/Norfork. I told him about the pool of rainbows, gave him 3 #16 GRHE's

and showed him a time or two how to cast down and across the current so the fly could

swing over the pool. I stood there with him for another ten minutes and watched him catch

1 decent rainbow (and lose 3), before I finally left. I'm sure those guys eyeing my spot and

creeping closer with every fish I caught were giving me some dirty looks as I waded out, but

if I helped someone's Grandpa enjoy a few hours fly fishing, they can shoot me all the dirty

looks they want.

On the other hand...there are some "secret" spots I wouldn't tell my own mother about. :lol:

Mike

On the other hand...there are some "secret" spots I wouldn't tell my own mother about.

You wouldn't have to, Mike. She knew about them before you were borne! :rolleyes:

DrVette thanks for the info. I'll be sure to make nice with the security. Guess I need to start tying some Ark flies.\

Hi, blakejd. I found a nice little "hole" along the bank of the Norfork Saturday

afternoon in the C&R area. The rainbows were gathered together in a big group,

and I was pulling some nice ones out pretty consistently. I noticed several of

the other guys along that stretch watching every time I hooked one and inching

closer and closer. When it got to the point I had to leave, I looked around and

saw an older gentleman, probably in his mid-70's, carefully wading into the water and

looking up and down the river as though he were lost. I caught his attention and waved him over.

It took him a while to unfold his staff and shuffle over to where I was, but when he finally

made it, I asked him if you was just starting out fishing for the day. Not only was he

just starting out for the day, he'd only been fly fishing for a couple of months and it was

his first trip to the White/Norfork. I told him about the pool of rainbows, gave him 3 #16 GRHE's

and showed him a time or two how to cast down and across the current so the fly could

swing over the pool. I stood there with him for another ten minutes and watched him catch

1 decent rainbow (and lose 3), before I finally left. I'm sure those guys eyeing my spot and

creeping closer with every fish I caught were giving me some dirty looks as I waded out, but

if I helped someone's Grandpa enjoy a few hours fly fishing, they can shoot me all the dirty

looks they want.

On the other hand...there are some "secret" spots I wouldn't tell my own mother about. :lol:

Mike

Hey Mike, bit off subject but I really appreciate that. If it wasn't for guys giving a young clueless teenager tips and flies I probably would have spent alot of time not catching fish in my youth. I have my old man come out every year to take him fishing. He's terrible (can't cast 10ft to save his life)!!! and a son teaching a father is just as bad as a father teaching a son how to drive. This summer another gentlemen took him under his wing for the day and my dad caught a 17in rainbow! It was the highlight of his trip! I definitely enjoy the comradeship of the sport and think its important but like you said theres some places that are special. Sure others know about it but if my mother knew about it she would probably drag every fish out of it and fry those little sucker up. 8in brookies are kinda tasty.

Hey Mike, bit off subject...

Sorry, blakejd. My mind frequently veers. :rolleyes:

Mike

Not at all. Actually I was saying my reply (and I guess yours) was, but like I said I really appreciate people willing to help other fisherman be successful in our sport.