Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
blakejd

A few biot bodies

I've been becoming more and more attracted to the great look of biot bodies. Now my problem seems to be I can't find enough of the colors I'm looking for but I'll live. Here are a few that I've been working on.

biot4.jpg

biot3.jpg

biot2.jpg

biot1.jpg

The midge has a rib of red superhair thats a bit hard to see but makes a nice little flash in the light that will hopefully add to its attractiveness and its durability.

Looks like you got those down good. I like the first and last ones best. Turkey wings have great biots, and they are longer than goose biots. I have full sets of turkey wings quills that I got from a hunter friend. If you don't hunt birds yourself, try to find some one who does. Many hunters will be glad to save you wings, and flank feathers if you offer to trade some flies for them.

Thanks guys. utyer I know several gals who have brothers that bird hunt but unfortunately all are evidently tyers as well so its hard to get them to give up materials. A few of my good friends occasionally bag an elk or deer but those products are so cheep and seem to require significant prep compared to the reward I'd just assume buy. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for turkey feathers when I hike from now on.

If you are having difficulties finding the colors you want, you can always dye them yourself. You can use Veniard dyes, or Rit dyes, or even Kool-Aid to get the colors right. Experiment. Have fun.

Regards,

Streamer

Man you guys are awesome. Aside from the post above two people have PM'd me offering to send my biots to play with. All I can say is what a great crew. Thanks for letting me take part.

Val, thanks for the offer. Kerusso and Txtyer have been kind enough to offer up some of theirs as well so I'm gonna play with those and see if they work for me and then perhaps try dying if needs be.

Again you guys rock!