Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

How i organize my hook box (step by step)

Ok so here i go..... I dont like storing hooks in there original package because eventually you have some many around you end up fishing through them just to find the one you need :wallbash: This hook box eliminated that problem. I have one side for dry fly hooks and one side for nymph/wet fly/streamer hooks!

the materials

20 compartment wapsi compartment hook storage box Hook Box

Magnet Strips (like you get in tiemco hooks)

Post-it-Notes

Tape

post-18259-1259202201_thumb.jpg

Write the info you want into the post it note

post-18259-1259202242_thumb.jpg

cut them out and tape them over the compartment the hooks will be in!

post-18259-1259202256_thumb.jpg

Do every compartment you want

post-18259-1259202300_thumb.jpg

Cut the tiemco magnet strips in half.

post-18259-1259202312_thumb.jpg

They should look like this

post-18259-1259202350_thumb.jpg

Glue them in with hot glue(careful with the hot glue)

post-18259-1259202422_thumb.jpg

Let dry for several minutes and then put your hooks in and you are complete!

post-18259-1259202432_thumb.jpg

Its a good system, and you can expand to more boxes as necessary. I would need a dozen of those to store all my hooks. Currently I have so many hooks, it takes 4 20 compartment organizer boxes for small (size 2 and under) hooks. Then my larger hooks (size 1 to 6/0) go in individual 4x4x1" plastic storage boxes. I have 12 of these filled with hooks. I have the outsides of all boxes marked with with size and style numbers.

Nice system FishboY :headbang:

I keep mine stored in a virtical organizer with little clear draws, each marked with what type of hooks are in it. It worked nice with Mustad's little boxes, but unfortunately they quit making those. :ripped:

I might have to get me some of those wapsi hook boxes and get organized. :)

I have done basically the same thing for my hooks, except I use a regular label maker to make my ID tags

john

I have the same boxes fishboy. I line the whole side with return address labels and write on them. Same thing, only different. I am starting my 4th hook box. Thats just trout hooks and a few steelie hooks. I may start bass flies soon. I guess I'll need another box.

Jeremy

yeah eventually i think i will need some more boxes! but for now i just separate them by dry/nymph hook you could also have boxes for like scud hooks and different types of hooks!

Its a good system, and you can expand to more boxes as necessary. I would need a dozen of those to store all my hooks. Currently I have so many hooks, it takes 4 20 compartment organizer boxes for small (size 2 and under) hooks. Then my larger hooks (size 1 to 6/0) go in individual 4x4x1" plastic storage boxes. I have 12 of these filled with hooks. I have the outsides of all boxes marked with with size and style numbers.

I am pretty much in the same boat, I need to get another box though. No matter how much space you have you always need more.

I like the CF boxes...they are pretty sweet. They are a might bit expensive so I've limited them to ten boxes, everything else goes into long term storage.

yeah i use Large C&F boxes with a page in them for my nymphs and another C&F box for my large hoppers and such... I just use this for the hooks that are going to be used for fly tying!