Fly Tying
Backlash

I need a little cheering up here...

Man, I hate to hear that. Dogs are the most wonderful animals and as others have said they are incredibly resiliant. Keep your chin up. Max feels the love and will be back to his usual self in no time.

Max is home now. I had to get out of the house on Friday to let the varnish on the floors dry, so Emily and I went to the vet to check on Max. The vet didn't see why we couldn't take him with us, so he got to come home. We all went to Iowa City to watch the game, and then to the in-laws.

We started him in the pool on Sunday, but he did't really like it too much. He just kept going around in circles...go figure! dunno.gif Anyway, he seems to be lifting the hurt leg a little bit, but I can't tell if he is just getting stronger and standing up straighter on the other leg.

I keep poking his leg with something sharp to see if he has any feeling, and there seems to be something there. He's been whining off and on, so I hope something is starting to hurt.

One good thing came out of this though. Emily saw how happy Max got when he saw my friends dogs and her parents dog, and I get to bring a new friend home for Max to play with. I had called one of the breeder/trainers around here to see of he had experienced anything similar with one of his dogs, and inquired whether or not he was planning on having another litter this year. Yep, he had just bred two of his best dogs the weekend before.

The toughest part of taking care of Max right now is to make sure he doesn't hurt his paw from dragging it around. He does a good job of keeping it clean, and we just bought some hunting boots to keep on in when we're outside.

All in all, he's getting along pretty well, but it's going to be a long road to recovery. I just wish he did't have to miss hunting season this year. He's a generally happy dog, but you can really see it in his eyes when we're out in the field.

Thanks for the concerns everyone, I really appreciate it.

Thats good if he's getting some feeling back in the leg. Missing out a hunting season sucks (for you&him) but is a small price to pay to have your friend back to normal next season wink.gif