Fly Tying
lewy271

TMC vs Mustad Signature Hooks

I'm going to be putting in an order and I'm not sure if I'm going to be buying TMC or Mustad Signature Hooks. I've always tied on Mustad Classic and was never really thrilled with them they were servicable but not fanastic. What are your thoughts on these two? Honestly the TMC hooks end up being about twice as expensive as I can tell because we are talking 25 vs 50 hook packs. I wish that Stockard carried Gamakatsu hooks because honestly they are so forking sharp I often have to leave the bench because of loss of blood. I've also considered giving togen a spin because of the price but...then I step away from the ledge.

So what do you think TMC or the Mustads?

I personally tie on TMC whenever I can. J Stockard is having a sale right now so. Some places can order 100 packs and that will save you a few bucks. As Charlie Craven said, a hook is the cheapest part of your whole setup, why scrimp there.

Jeremy

Who says you can only use 1 company's hook. Why not both? TMC makes great Dry fly hooks and an amazing scud hooks, mustad probably makes the best streamer hooks on the market.

BUT if I could pick one company for hooks it would be Daichii ! Strong, and they don't rust. The draw back about them is they aren't cheap.

I personally tie on TMC whenever I can. J Stockard is having a sale right now so. Some places can order 100 packs and that will save you a few bucks. As Charlie Craven said, a hook is the cheapest part of your whole setup, why scimp there.

Jeremy

While I agree good hooks are worth the money, my hook choice is extremely dependent on fishing conditions. If I am fishing 6 foot wide small streams way up in the mountains I will use cheap dai-riki's lol, mostly because I know I am going to loose a crap ton in one day's fishing, and the small brookies could care less about a shiny hook. However if I am fishing a larger river like the South Platte (like Charlie) I will use higher quality hooks, mostly due to larger fish who break, or can be turned off by the cheap super-bright flashy hooks.

Personally I would go with the mustads but that is my preference, IMO differentiating between those two brands is splitting hairs.

Also Charlie owns a fly shop of course he is going to recommend you buy ALL the most expensive products :P

Yea I know that it sounds wierd about wanting to stay with one manufacturer of hooks but I have a method to my madness, and it helps me from committing hook sprawl....same hook with 4 different manufacturers in 10 different sizes.... Just trying to decide who is going to be my primary these days. I picked up some Daichii bass hook they aren't bad, Maybe I'll just do a bit of a hook bake off. Thanks for the feedback.

I have used Mustad hooks since I started tying. When I think dry fly I think 94840, 7957B and 94859. When I think wet I think 3906, 3906B. Streamers: 9671, 9672, 3665A, 79560.... These numbers are ingrained in my psyche and I design my flies with the proportions of these hooks in mind. Having said that (and although I still use more Mustad hooks than any other,) I have come to prefer the hooks of other manufacturers- notably Partridge, Tiemco and Daiichi. I am beginning to think more in terms of 101, 2488, 2302, 15BN, K14ST, K3A, 1530.... I couldn't choose one, but Tiemco and Partridge would probably top the list.

THEY ARE ALL GOOD. This is the same question as "Which vise should I buy?" "Which motorcycle oil is the best?" "What's the best fly line?" "Ford or Chevy or Dodge?"

All the well known names produce good hooks. Chemically lazer neutron x-ray sharpened hooks from one maker are, for all REAL WORLD purposes just as sharp as the other brand. Pay your money and take your pick.

I look for the hook shape/size/style I need, then price. Personally, I think $5+ for 25 hooks is ridiculous, BUT WE HAVE BROUGHT THIS UPON OURSELVES by believing. I have second thoughts every time I spend 5 bucks on 25 hooks, but at times there are no alternatives readily available.

Kool-Aid line forms to the left... drink it, it's good for you... it will set you free...

Why "scrimp" on hooks? because we all have budgets to stay within. It's easy for authors and guides to give advice about how to spend money on things they get free or reduced. I would continue to tie on and fish Mustad "classic" hooks if I could. Couple of careful swipes with a diamond hone and I can make any one of them scary-sharp. From about size 16 down, it makes no difference at all what kind of point is on the hook, as long as there is one. Under a microscope, yes, out in the world, no. How many millions and millions of fish were caught on hooks made before we JUST KNEW our fly hooks had to be purchased from a jewelry store?

THEY ARE ALL GOOD. This is the same question as "Which vise should I buy?" "Which motorcycle oil is the best?" "What's the best fly line?" "Ford or Chevy or Dodge?"

All the well known names produce good hooks. Chemically lazer neutron x-ray sharpened hooks from one maker are, for all REAL WORLD purposes just as sharp as the other brand. Pay your money and take your pick.

I look for the hook shape/size/style I need, then price. Personally, I think $5+ for 25 hooks is ridiculous, BUT WE HAVE BROUGHT THIS UPON OURSELVES by believing. I have second thoughts every time I spend 5 bucks on 25 hooks, but at times there are no alternatives readily available.

Kool-Aid line forms to the left... drink it, it's good for you... it will set you free...

Why "scrimp" on hooks? because we all have budgets to stay within. It's easy for authors and guides to give advice about how to spend money on things they get free or reduced. I would continue to tie on and fish Mustad "classic" hooks if I could. Couple of careful swipes with a diamond hone and I can make any one of them scary-sharp. From about size 16 down, it makes no difference at all what kind of point is on the hook, as long as there is one. Under a microscope, yes, out in the world, no. How many millions and millions of fish were caught on hooks made before we JUST KNEW our fly hooks had to be purchased from a jewelry store?

Amen to that!

I usually use the old Mustads I still have some, but I also have hooks from Togens, Dai-Riki, Daiichi (buddy bought them for me to try). I love the old Mustads and I know some don't like them I've NEVER had a problem with them except those darn tree's like to steal them off my tippit!!!!! The Togens I like except they shine more than regular bronze (black sharpie takes care of that) Daiichi's are nice but I'm in no position to buy hooks in 25 or 50 counts I wouldn't be fishing very much.

Keep an eye on Mustad hooks on ebay if you like the old classic style they show up often enough to pay attention.

I don't just fly fish!!!! I also have to buy 6 size's of jig hooks, and trebles for lures. Those are Mustad, VMC, Eagle Claw and luckily to an ebay auction I got a 1000 red sickle jig hooks for a great price.

Thanks to JSzymczyk and a steal of a deal he put up I got 2000 hooks from him!!!

If you're selling I might see the higher priced hook but for my own use and swaps I use what I got Mustads, Dai-Riki's, Togens

That's just me

Fatman

To be honest, I've never tied on anything but Mustad hooks, just for the simple reason that they were all I could get for many years. I did tie some salt water flies I tied for a customer years ago, don't remember what brand they were tied on.

I have lots of TMCs but use Signatures whereever I can. They are designed with the same proportions for each size, so they look very similar, just bigger or smaller depending on size. This may seem rather obvious, but when you look at the TMCs you will see that the proportions of the hook change as the size changes. As I recall the shank on the TMCs gets longer (relative to the hook bend) as the hooks size gets smaller. The Mustad Signatures are proportionally the same.

BINGO!!!

Well put!

I tie with both TMC and Mustad. I really like the Mustad C49S and CO68. I still have a bunch of the old Mustad hooks in my collection but have had problems with them snapping in my vice ( no problems with the Signature series), and no, I am not heavy handed. I also tie with Daiichi, Partridge, Gammakatsu , Varivas, Sprite and a whole bunch of other name brands that would require a prolonged internet search.

My favorite hook for smaller patterns is the TMC 2488, 2488H and 2499SP-BL, nymphs and dries...not cheap

It all comes down to personal preference and what one is willing to spend...This guy, Vince Wilcox, ties a lot of great flies on Mustad hooks:

http://www.wileysflies.com/tyingtutorial/w...svwemerger.html

Two of mine on a CO68...

post-18438-1262634335_thumb.jpg

post-18438-1262635233_thumb.jpg

and this on a C49S, which some people are finding real useful right now...

post-18438-1262637511_thumb.jpg

PT/TB :P