Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dezod

Stinger Hook Question

Hey there I have been wanting to try my hand at spinning deer hair for a while. My question has to do with hooks.

I have the TMC 8089 in #6 and #10. They are a bit pricey at my local fly shop, and I see that J. Stockard has their hooks on for 20% off right now. They have 2 mustad models available, one old calssic that they are no longer carrying once they sell and one signature. The shapes are different and I am trying to find out how they compare in shank length to the 8089's and get some opinions on their shape as I think the classic ones look cooler, but I don't know if they catch fish any better. The two models are

Signature C52S BLN and Classic 37187. The signatures are $3.50-$4.00 per 25. The classics are $8.50-$10.00 per 100, but they are out of the 2/0, so is the classic #2 the same as the TMC 8089 #2. I really only want 3-4 sizes of stinger hooks for spun deer hair bugs so I am looking to round out my grouping on the larger size.

Opinions would be appreciated as I don't really have anything upon which to base my own.

Thanks

C

Dezrod

I am not familiar with the Mustad Signature, but I have both Mustad 37187 (in 1/0, 2, and 6) and TMC 8089 in #2 only. The Mustad 37187 #2 is similar in size to the TMC 8089 #2. I think the TMC is a sturdier hook, and has a wider gap which aids in hooking and eases hair trimming underneath the hook. If you can afford it that's what I'd recommend. However, the Mustad is a lot cheaper and it should work OK. If you can find the Mustad 3366, its also cheap and is very sturdy. The 3366 in size 2/0 is only slighly smaller than the TMC 8089 and is a pretty good low cost substitute in my opinion. You can find it at Bass Pro Shops (check their web site if you don't have a store near you). Good luck.

Tom

Thanks tom that is just the information I was looking for.

C

the Mustad Signature C52S BLN is an OUTSTANDING deer hair bug hook. They are also more true-to-size than the 8089s, which have a weird arbitrary size number, HUGE for the size compared to most other hooks. Mustad used to make a hook almost identical to the 8089s, which were great, and I have quite a few left from many years ago. I have bought several packs of the C52BLN hooks from JStockard, and I have absolutely no complaints about them.

I read online that the hook gap on the mustad signatures was quite small for deer hair work, but I don't know how to take that.

Also by "truer to size" could you be a little more specific as anything larger than a #10 is gigantic for me and I have no frame of reference. I am looking for a stinger hook about the same size as the #2 TMC 8089, so in the signature line would that be closer to a 2/0?

thanks

C

I read online that the hook gap on the mustad signatures was quite small for deer hair work, but I don't know how to take that.

Also by "truer to size" could you be a little more specific as anything larger than a #10 is gigantic for me and I have no frame of reference. I am looking for a stinger hook about the same size as the #2 TMC 8089, so in the signature line would that be closer to a 2/0?

thanks

C

sorry, late replying, but yes you are correct. The 8089 #2 would be roughly the size of a 2/0 C52. Not exactly, but pretty close.

As for the hook gap, if the fly is built and trimmed correctly, there is no issue. No matter what hook is used, if a lot of hair and other junk is left under the shank, it will interfere with the gap. Plus, that black nickel finish is just so cool~!

Onceahoosier mentioned the 3366, and I also agree totally. They are great hooks, very versatile, and not expensive. I use a LOT of 3366s....