Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
navigator37

Head cement in my eye.

Tying yesterday and I was using Loon water based head cement to finish a fly off.

There was a drop hanging on the head of the fly, so I casually flicked the fly on the vise.

The light wire hook flicked back and sent a few droplets into my right eye.

I instantly thought, " Oh crap! " what kind of damage will this do.

As I ran to the washroom to wash my eye out, I noticed the mild stinging was gone

with the blinking of my eye.

I washed my eye out anyways with no ill effects.

I found that aside from there being no noxious odor from this stuff, getting it in the eye

was relatively harmless as well. There were no lingering effects from it at all.

Other cements would prove different. Good and safe stuff to use.

I am glad you are OK. I don't usually wear safety glasses when I'm tying, but I do pretty much all the time when I'm doing anything else.

How well does the water based cement hold up? Fairly often in my experience, adhesives and coatings which are "non-toxic" "harmless" etc leave a lot to be desired.

One other question- if it is "Water Based", why do they sell special thinner for it? Shouldn't a person just be able to put a drop or two of WATER in it to make it thinner? I'm ignorant of the facts, I've never used a water based cement.

I'm glad to hear that worked out too. I use the same stuff.

By the way... I found an easy way to manage the extra cement I sometimes get from using something so thin... I keep a small piece of paper towel on the desk and just dab off any extra I accidently apply.

Gotta like Loon.

But I have to admit that I dont use a whole lotta head cement. Usually only on heavy hair wings or If I rip short a half hitch or whip finish. I really dont think I lose many flies to unwound heads either..... and before I get ripped -_- .... Yes I do catch fish with them..... B)