Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HereToLearn

Bonbright

A fellow and myself are scouring the internet for a fly we have only read mentioned in some articles here and there but we have not been able to find pictures.

The fly is a Bonbright. However it is NOT the more commonly known Saltwater Tarpon Fly. It is a Midge Pupa of sorts. It has been describes as follows:

"It's basically a chironomid tied with stripped purple quill tied in sizes 16-20 with a greyish tan dubbed thorax and a medium grey split duck wing case."

Fair enough. We are just looking for a picture. I've googled the crap out of this and followed for as far as I can see every lead with no picture to be found.

If anyone can help us with this it would be more than greatly appreciated. This damn thing is driving us nuts.

Thanks guys.

Tony

for me, the link is dead.

how 'bout a purple midge pupa with a tan thorax and gray wing cases?

If it is "driving you nuts" then you are SERIOUSLY overthinking it. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but on a size 20, a chironomid is a chironomid is a chironomid, just make it whatever colors you want.

i'm at work and security filters alot of places so i wasnt sure if the link was dead. did you to click on the "cached" page??

"It's basically a chironomid tied with stripped purple quill tied in sizes 16-20 with a greyish tan dubbed thorax and a medium grey split duck wing case."

seems to me you have the basic recipe. take a foto of the finished fly and you'll have it forever.

A fellow and myself are scouring the internet for a fly we have only read mentioned in some articles here and there but we have not been able to find pictures.

The fly is a Bonbright. However it is NOT the more commonly known Saltwater Tarpon Fly. It is a Midge Pupa of sorts. It has been describes as follows:

Fair enough. We are just looking for a picture. I've googled the crap out of this and followed for as far as I can see every lead with no picture to be found.

If anyone can help us with this it would be more than greatly appreciated. This damn thing is driving us nuts.

Thanks guys.

Tony

This one maybe? http://www.ifly4trout.com/flypatterns/purple_pupa.htm