Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Ostrich Egg

I was working a pattern to fish similar to a fluke style of soft plastic. My problem was the under body of the fly and holding the marabou from completely collapsing to the shank. I had tried a variety of ideas like wrapping schlappen as a support. Never quite got the results I wanted. I happened to see the egg yarn while looking for other stuff and decided to try it on the body of this fly. After finishing the fly, it struck me that I had basically just tied the largest veiled egg pattern ever. Hense the name.

The pink should show through the marabou and add just a little glow of color to the white in the water. Just need to get rid of the ice to give it a throw.

Enjoy.

Deeky

No what that fly is screaming is 15lbs of stripper baby.I have not been able to go fishing for a few days and this Sunday is looking really promising.(mobster accent)I have heard rumors that certain people are pulling in 10+lb strippers and 5+lb walleyes.Truth be told I am not passing that up.Me and big Lou are getting a little testy.I would hate for Lou to get angry.Bad things happen to good people when he gets angry.So i am going to take a small break and go test these rumors.We will have to see if anybody ends up sleeping with the fishes.i hope you all enjoy this little fly here and have a very good day.

Thanks for the comments.

Never fished steelhead, so wasn't thinking that direction. But if it works for steelies too, great. Closest I've ever gotten is fishing stocked rainbows in the Black Hills, and they are definitely nowhere near big enough to take a fly this size. Let me know how it does for you.

Deeky