Fly Tying
Brian Brown75

bass fly thread

Much like BDH I am a topwater guy for the bass. I really dont fish to much for LMB and concentrate mostly on the smallies. Here in Maryland most of the smallies are between say 8 and 13 or so inches. Given that, I dont fish with anything larger than a size 8 and at times that could be pushing it. The first photo is the first popper I every tied. I caught like 10 on it before the rain drove me off of the river. I have since retired it to a piece of driftwood I have on a mantle in the house. The other photos are just various poppers. Hope you like them.

post-10276-1269192728_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1269192799_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1269192860_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1269192914_thumb.jpg

Here's a great pattern I love to bounce in the Dix, Elkhorn, and Hickman Rivers. Murray's Strymph. Great helllgrammite pattern. I'll swing it (deaddrift) or strip through the bottoms of rocky runs for LMB and smallies. Great when tied in brown, black, dark grey, or grey and black.

post-20880-1269193590_thumb.jpg

Thanks man. I wass trying to do a take on the fruit cocktail. Need to work on it more. I love the strymph man. Awesome color combo. Reminds me of some electric blue worms and lizards I used to chuck at the LMB back in the day!

post-18259-1269217002_thumb.jpg

an articulated helgrammite for bouncing on the bottom with some weight!

post-18259-1269217036_thumb.jpg

a subsurface pattern that usually works well. I like casting it down and across and stripping it back in... i vary the strips from slow to rod under the arm hand over hand strips.

post-18259-1269217111_thumb.jpg

a little streamer i developed for all species of fish! fish it the same as the one above.

post-18259-1269217294_thumb.jpg

a general frog popper.... need a few more legs on it but besides that it is not bad!

BDH!-

i love the murrays strymph! he is a great guy and has some great smallie patterns! glad to see some of them outside of his shop! the shenandoah is my smallie stomping grounds.... along with the potomac!

Fishboy, the Strymph is fished world wide, not just within the confines of the Virginian Commonwealth. Every true bass flyrodder at least knows about the Strymph, even if he/she has never fished it. Takes big trout in rivers that have healthy hellgrammite populations. Can be a killer carp fly when tied in smaller sizes and flipped to tailing carp, especially when tied in brown. Ol Harry's been at this tying thing a long time. He does great work. The Strymph, although not as popular as it probably should be, is a great go to pattern when fishing hellgrammite imitations. The Strymph tied with a small, but robust rabbit zonker tail is deadly as well.

I ordered some popper bodies..so when they show up i'll tie a couple to post some pics of on here.

-Mark

Make no doubt about it, Harry is the man! And so it shall be.... :hypocrite: Blaine Chocklett of "Gummy Minnow" fame is another great VA tier, although I don;t hold much regard for the Gummy itself. But I digress.

Would love to see more streamers being posted. I'm a sucker for a good looking streamer. I'm kinda diggin Fishboy's minnow pattern.