Fly Tying
Brian Brown75

bass fly thread

I live to fish for bass......a couple of my favorites......stream smallies.....a take off of a clouser...only I add feathers to the tail section...half and half style......I like a wider fuller baitfish imitation............poppers and divers for largemouth....

post-22995-1269266970_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1269267004_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1269267068_thumb.jpg

BDH-

another big va tier is walt cary.... every once in a while you can find him around at a show or such tying his world famous poppers. They are indestructible... my record on one of his poppers is like 20 fish..... but i know people who have caught 50 smallies on one of his poppers before it even started to become deformed! But the overall record of fish on one of his poppers is like 230ish.... and some one tried to return it to him for a new one and he gave them 2 poppers for the one that caught like 230 fish.... he hangs that in his shop!

Great thread fellas! Just picked up a little boat last week and going to start hittin the ponds on Salmon downtime. This is perfect! Great ties everyone, totally getting the vise itch

A few years ago I saw a fly on here called the spider grub and really loved it, it became an incredibly effective fly for me but soon one of my favorite bassin' lakes changed and began to grow HUGE mats of coon tail grass out to about 12 feet of water taking over the space I used to fish with the spider grub so I went on the search to find a fly that looked just like the spider grub but would not sink like a rock but would suspend over the tops of the weeds. I tried all kinds of things and finally came to settle with this. Giving credit where credit is due I named it the spuddler (only to later find out that name was taken). Here is a link to a step-by-step I did on another board for the fly.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/v...dler_Minnow.php

Basically it is a cross bred spider grub and muddler minnow and has fast become my go to fly for all kinds of situations. Hope you all like.

Steve

A Fur Strip Clouser. Haven't ever tied clousers before so you guys can tell me how to fish it. Putting a few in my newly inducted Bass Box.

FurStripClouser.jpg

A Fur Strip Clouser. Haven't ever tied clousers before so you guys can tell me how to fish it. Putting a few in my newly inducted Bass Box.

FurStripClouser.jpg

I have a LOT to learn about fly fishing... and I mean a LOT... but the way I fish them (keep in mind I fish for panfish, that don't really like to chase down their prey) is: quick strip, strip, strip.... let rest to sink and wobble down. Repeat... If I haven't caught a fish by then, I normally recast. It seems like if panfish see it and it's within their reach, they'll nail it. I know you're a trout and steelhead guy, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to fish for other species.

BTW, awesome tie! I'd be proud to have something like that in my box.

Old hat would you mind listing a recipe for that??? I really like the looks and would like to add a few to my boxes if at all possible. Wonderfully tied as usual from you.

Steve

almost a flyrodder's version of the classic "Scum Frog"...very nice....screams "fish me in heavy cover and hang on!" How's the action?

almost a flyrodder's version of the classic "Scum Frog"...very nice....screams "fish me in heavy cover and hang on!" How's the action?

She's yet to see any action as of yet. Three weeks and I'll be chucking it into some heavy cover for big bucket mouths. You basically cast into the reeds and muck, have no idea where the fly is and just twitch until you hear and see the attack....then hang on for dear life. A little spider-wire for the leader and I can yank those suckers out of most anything...

Hey guys! Some great patterns here gave me the idea to tie this popper. Here's my contribution! It's a bit bigger so I guess it'll be good for some smaller pikes as well.

Cheers!

post-1013-1269575435_thumb.jpg