Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Crunchy Squirrel

Good nymph, good appearance.

If I have your permission I'll tie with gray legs ;)

I think it´s very good pattern for carp varying weights and sizes.

I´m sure that this nymph will have a place in my box.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it :D

yeah i am really interested in what the same color legs as dubbing would do.... like if you did it with brown legs.... or if you did a totally wacko color like fl. green or orange what that would do.

Yeah I plan to mess around with the coloring, I'll see what happens ^_^

I would like to know how it fishes without them legs.. Do the legs give it that much of a trigger? or do they scare them fishes away? That's what I notice happens when I fish a rubber leg copper john to a standard copper John..

i guess my experience in the matter is this. if it is slow water and the fish have a lot of time to look at the fly before the commit to taking it then legs are not as good. If i am fishing fast water then i want something with a bit more of a profile. something meaty but is not a streamer. so then i like legs.

i would guess with the different color legs is the brighter the color the more bluegill like it. the more realistic the color the more the trout like it?

Do the legs give it that much of a trigger?

I believe they do. There have been times will take a legged version over a plain one, and vise versa. It really is hard to say though.

I have used Green, yellow and black on C. John's and they have all produced well for trout and several other species(in my experiences).

Thank you Avelino and Blake :D

If I have your permission I'll tie with gray legs

I think it´s very good pattern for carp varying weights and sizes.

Go right ahead, good idea for carp. I think I'll try that :)

Blake, I usually fish it dead drift with the occasional twitching. The fun really starts when you let it sink down deep in a slow moving pool :)

I like it, Jan. Would look great with even the new King Snake variations of rubber legs. Excellent submisison, young man.

Thanks Chris :D

You'll be getting a variation of this pattern (Crunchy Hare's Ear) in the Bluegill and Panfish swap, I hope you like it ;)

alas.....I donated my swap collection to a charitable cause....no worries, I can admire it here and whip out one in the next few days. Love this bug, Jan!

Sorry I missed this one, Jan. Been out of the loop for a week or

so, as you know.

With or without legs, it's a fantastic looking fly. Great job, as usual.

Mike