Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

ticked off...

Welcome to PA J. Redietz asked the right question however. the little deer ticks are the ones that supposedly carry the lyme disease. I dont know what tool you used to get the buried head out but I just put a glob of vaseline or Neosporin on the tick and wait they usually pull out within the hour as I think this method suffocates them. I pulled three off my dog yesterday and my wife had one in her hair. My dog has not only a flea collar but also preventix liquid we apply and there really is no way to avoid these critters in this area. remember they migrate to warm places, so i use it as an excuse for ......... to turn a frown upside down. ;)

I had one that had been attached for apparently a few days near my groin and hadn't noticed it in days of hiking and wading the Tn backwoods.

Quit hiking naked and that won't happen :whistle:

Heard once that if you find them in under 24 hours that you are usually safe from lyme disease. Don't quote me on it. Not a fan of ticks.

I had one that had been attached for apparently a few days near my groin and hadn't noticed it in days of hiking and wading the Tn backwoods.

Quit hiking naked and that won't happen :whistle:

Oh, whatever! You say all the time that was the best trip you've ever been on!

GAH! This thread needs to stop... so much discomfort. Did I mention I'm deadly afraid/hate ticks? Mr. S, I feel so bad for your circumstances, I for one would choose death over digging out a tick or even looking at one. Call me soft. :crying:

soft. <_< Man up, son, it's just a parasitic organism that can carry a disease lethal enough to kill an otherwise healthy human being. Whaddya afraid of??? :lol: :lol: :j_k:

Not to downplay the risk, Joel, but I've found literally hundreds of ticks feasting on

me over the years. Here in the South, if you plan on fishing stock ponds,

you can just bank on getting covered with seed ticks. My Mom used to make

my Dad and I strip down to our skivvies on the porch before coming into

the house afterwards. They'd swarm you.

I hate chiggers!

Mike

seems to be an area in the mid-south, from Virginia going west to S. Missouri and Arkansas, where ticks are REALLY numerous. I don't remember seeing a single one in S. Alabama, but when I lived in the Tidewater area of SE Virginia, I'd find the little sunsabijjes on me almost every time I'd go for a bike ride. I'd always find them before they bit though. Growing up in NW Pennsylvania, I don't ever remember seeing one at all, until field dressing a deer each year. Then I'd see a few crawling around.

Ordered a few tools called "Tick Key" to remove them we find more, which I'm sure we will. I know standard DEET repellents work, but man DEET eats fishing tackle. Does anyone have any good experience with the Permethrin based repellents??

I agree, I'll take a tick over chiggers any day. I picked up a tick a few years ago while hunting at the family farm. Didn't find it until after supper when I went in to go to the bathroom. Little guy was bit in a little, but was in that sensitive area where the thigh meets the groin right next to the boys. I wasn't about to go there with a hot match, so pulled my pants up and went to get the rubbing alcohol from Grandma. When I explained I had a tick (but didn't mention where), she was almost adamant that she was going to come in and help remove it. Ummmm, no. I got the alcohol and went back in to the bathroom to take care of business. I could have dabbed it on, but why waste the energy. I sat on the pot and just dumped a little of it over the tick. Did I mention he was in that sensitive area next to the boys? Forgot how much alcohol can burn. After I was able to breath again, I just grabbed him right against the skin and gave a quick pull. Got everything out and went on my way.

Chiggers? Now they are a pain!

Deeky

Little guy was bit in a little, but was in that sensitive area where the thigh meets the groin right next to the boys.

:lol: They always seem to seek out those...eerr, sensitive areas, don't they?

Joel, I've never used Permethrin based repellents, as far as I know. I just use plain

old Deep Woods Off (not that it works. LOL).

Mike

If you do find a tick on you, remove it with tweezers. Grab around its head and pull it out. You should remove a small "tag" of skin along with the tick in order to make sure you removed all pieces of the head. Do not use alcohol or a lighter to remove. When ticks finish feeding they vomit some of their meal back into the wound, this is when the disease transmission takes place. If you use alcohol or fire they will back out, but will vomit as they do so. :sick:

When ticks finish feeding they vomit some of their meal back into the wound

I could have went the rest of the day without hearing that little tidbit of information :sick: :lol:

WARNING: If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warmer weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance around with your arms up, DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They only want to see you naked. I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid. Oh and Ashamed :(

WARNING: If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warmer weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance around with your arms up, DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They only want to see you naked. I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid. Oh and Ashamed :(

Dammit, Matt!!!!! You just blew my cover....what the hell?!!!