Fly Tying
RoaringForkFisher

Beginner Tools

Hi i just got started into fly fishing rivers and i want to start tying my own flies, but there is so many tools and options, just wondering what tools i should get or just a kit, links would be nice, if you think separate tools are better to buy than a kit then please link them, i prefer to buy from cabelas, thanks guys!

There are so many options. What materials do you already have (if any)? What are you wanting to tie? Why do you want to buy from Cabela's? What is your budget?

basically all i have is thread, want to tie flies for fishing trout in rivers, i'm fishing the roaring fork and frying pan in colorado, and i would like to keep it under $150 for the tools, and i just prefer cabelas, really good service, oh and also i would like to fly freshwater lakes, maybe a little saltwater fishing but unlikely

I started with a kit, came with a vice and the basic tools and enough materials to get me started for under a c note. But word of warning, this is terribly addicting! LOL! We will talk again when you have started eyeing the fuzz of your neighbors carpeting and touching and feeling anything that looks like it would make a great fly. Welcome to the obession! :yahoo:

Well, do you need a vise? If so, that could easily sink $100 of your budget. Danvise or Griffin Odyssey are good sub $100 options. Dr. Slick from jstockard.com are solid quality tools. I'd recommend a 4" pair of hair scissors and a 3" micro tip for detail work. Ceramic bobbins by Griffin or Dr. Slick offer a great value and won't snag your thread. If you're planning on using hair of any sort, you'll need a hair stacker, which can be had for a couple of bucks. Let me know what you think about these suggestions and we can go from here.

The general consensus is to stay away from kits, even if they carry the orvis or cabela's name. Generally, if you take the time to figure out what patterns you want to tie, you can get much higher quality materials if you purchase individually.

Does your $150 budget also include materials or just tools?

As Dart said above it depends on your budget. All great suggestions from him in the above post. My little wapsi kit did me proud until I got serious, then obsessed.

Dr. Slick sells a complete set of tools which is very nice and will serve you very well. I believe you can pick this up for about $50 and is good choice.The Danvise will give you the best bang for your buck as far as vises go.

The HMH Spartan is a super high-quality vise at a modest price point if you care to spend a little more $$.

If you're on a budget I recommend you purchase a Danvise, a bobbin, a good pair of scissors, a hair stacker, and perhaps a whip finisher.

I recommend the fly-rite bobbin and the Sixth Finger scissors.

Danvise $83.95

Dr. Slick MicroTip All Purpose Scissors 4" $18.65

Dr. Slick All Purpose Scissors 4" - straight $13.75

Or, you could omit the 4" all purpose scissors and get this kit. Use the kit scissors for hair work and use the MicroTip scissors for hackle. That'd put you at $152.

Dr. Slick Fly Tying Tool Gift Set - brass $49.95

There are many different ways to do this, but I think most people would recommend getting quality tools that will make your tying more pleasurable. For another $20-50, you could get materials and hooks to tie 3-5 patterns and provide you with many flies. When I got started (and still), I buy materials to tie one pattern at a time. Eventually, your materials build up and you won't have to shop so much.

Griffin has a web special on a good quality vise for under $60.00. Follow the link and take a look. http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/web-exclusive.html

Scissors, bobbin, hair stacker, and hackle pliers should run you about 40 to 50 more. There are other tools (lots of other tools,) but what I have listed is all the essential tools. Dental floss pullers make fine bobbin threaders. A needle pressed into a cork will make a good enough bodkin. Dubbing wax is sold in the plumbing department of every Home Depot. That leaves a little money left for a few hooks and basic materials.