Fly Tying
RoaringForkFisher

Danvise Vs Griffin's Odyssey Spider?

I have a Renzetti Master limited edition with a saltwater pedestal which cost a bomb. it is my main vise.

I order a Griffin odyssey Spider as my travel vise. seem that there are so many version of the Griffin odyssey Spider.

some with cam lock, some with screw lock, some with nice bobbin cradle, some with simple bobbin cradle,

some with more brass part ant other with simple black part.etc

I like the Griffin because it is using spring on the jaw cam, unlike Renzetti which are using old technology.

Renzetti is still using rubber "O" ring. which break after a year.

I have had my Danvise for about six years and I still love it. There's not much room to work at the bend of the hook so you will want to order the extension for the jaws. The whole thing should cost about 100 bucks.

The biggest mistake I made was trading away my Anvil vise. Wanted a Mongoose so bought one. Wanted a Peak so bought one. Got rid of both of them and went back in time to the HMH Spartan, which is a more expensive Anvil vise without the smoothness and less hook holding authority. Still I am happy with it and by leveling the Anvil or HMH you can put rotary to work just fine if that's your thing. The design of the true rotaries just doesn't work for me as well as the straight shaft vises. I do use a Renzetti Traveler for a lot of small tying with the smaller head and between the HMH and Renzetti I now have the right combination.

VC if the biggest mistake you made was moving from the Anvil, why not just go back to the Anvil ?

Incidentally, I agree that the Anvil is a great little vise. While I don't own one, I have used one and admire it for it's smoothness and simplistic yet high quality. There is a very good chance it will be my next vise if there ever is a next vise. Like you, I find running an inline vise parallel to the work surface to suffice my rotary needs very well, it's what I do now with my cheap Indian vise I've been using for some 20 years or so. I will say that the Indian vise has a lot of head wobble though when rotated, but that has never stopped me from tying a pattern I wanted to tie..

Anvil Atlas? it take a cow strength to clamp a hook. I sold it off. the guy who bought it is trying to get rid of it.

"true rotary" is all marketing bla bla bla. I tie on an HMH and use the rotary on almost every fly. I tie close to 5000 flies a year. I tie on 2/0 hooks most of the time. Trust me its hype. But the true rotary vises do have one thing over in line rotaries......lack of space behind the hook....

FYI HMH spartan was the first rotary vise.....

There it is.

"The way I do it is the only right way, so anything that does less than what I want is useless and anything that does more than I want is pointless marketing BS."

Anvil Atlas? it take a cow strenghe to clamp a hook. I sold it off. the guy who bought it is trying to get rid of it.

No, wrong vise. We are speaking of the Anvil Apex, or I am anyway. It seemed to be very smooth to me.

The Griffin odyssey spider have many version. some with lever and some with screw clamp which I think it is old version.

some with more brass parts which cost more and other with a nice bobbin cradle. take you pick.