Fly Tying
NJ All Day

HMH Spartan vs. Renzetti Traveler

That's it I'm gonna get the Dyna King sounds lkr a great vise and I don't think i be tying to many 20's and down, I usally tie bass and bluegill flies. Size 16-2 so Dyna King sounds great.

Great choice. If you ever get into tying smaller flies(<16), Dyna-King's midge jaws are very good.

the rotatry works great!!!

I have an HMH Spartan on order through my local shop. I watched several of your videos while researching what vise I would want to buy, you do awesome work!

the rotatry works great!!!

When you have the Spartan jaws set straight out to make it closer to true rotary, do you have problems with crowding behind the hook on larger flies?

When you have the Spartan jaws set straight out to make it closer to true rotary, do you have problems with crowding behind the hook on larger flies?

No more so than any other vise you adjusted in a similiar fashion. Not much point in doing this, however, unless you are tying something like a Clouser. If crowding is an issue, leave it in original configuration. If you need to tie in a rotary fashion, get a true rotary vise. YMMV.

No more so than any other vise you adjusted in a similiar fashion. Not much point in doing this, however, unless you are tying something like a Clouser. If crowding is an issue, leave it in original configuration. If you need to tie in a rotary fashion, get a true rotary vise. YMMV.

I always have my hmh level even when I tie nymphs. you will have more room flat then in the skinny lill V on a true rotary. Plus the level head gives you a nice place to rest your hand while placing materials. "True Rotaries" are not superior to the "The First Rotary" If you tie any streamer the level platform is much easier to get around. The only V rotary I have used that has enough room is the dynaking cuda. All others are way to tight. I think the Law looks like the best vice made for all applications. But Im not dishing out that kinda cash for one...

I always have my hmh level even when I tie nymphs. {snip}

Well, you're doing it wrong. You may be comfortable using your vise on the horizontal, but you are actually minimizing the amount of space between the vise and the hook, when one usually seeks to maximize the amount of space. If you've found this to be an effective method, then carry on. If you have your vise properly adjusted, you would maximize the amount of clearance between the hook and the vise by removing the vise altogether from the calculation. Doesn't matter for all patterns, but I prefer not to have to adjust my vise at all when I tie so I just leave it at a 30 degree head angle which maximizes rear clearance.

Regardless, reread what I said. If you want to tie rotary, get a rotary vise. If you merely want to rotate the vise head, then any standard well made vise will serve.

I always have my hmh level even when I tie nymphs. {snip}

Well, you're doing it wrong. You may be comfortable using your vise on the horizontal, but you are actually minimizing the amount of space between the vise and the hook, when one usually seeks to maximize the amount of space. If you've found this to be an effective method, then carry on. If you have your vise properly adjusted, you would maximize the amount of clearance between the hook and the vise by removing the vise altogether from the calculation. Doesn't matter for all patterns, but I prefer not to have to adjust my vise at all when I tie so I just leave it at a 30 degree head angle which maximizes rear clearance.

Regardless, reread what I said. If you want to tie rotary, get a rotary vise. If you merely want to rotate the vise head, then any standard well made vise will serve.

since when did some write a book saying that your tieing right or wrong? If he finds the most room by having it level then that's the way he's comfortible he's not wrong he likes it like that. Anyway I'm canging my mind and gonna buy the HMH.

FYI I tie 5000 flies a year and use the rotary on almost all of them. Ill never buy a V vise.

since when did some write a book saying that your tieing right or wrong?{snip}

Perhaps "inefficient" is a better term than "wrong?" Not wanting to get into an argument over sematics, there are often "better" ways to tie and "less better" ways.

Bravo on your choice of the HMH. I think it will serve you well. I really like Renzetti vises, but I hate dealing with the company, so I've been busy looking for an alternative myself.

Have fun.

Tying a big nymph wrong er inefficiently...

here is another waste of a nymph....

Yup, both are excellent examples. Tilt your vise head upward to about a 30 degree angle and then tie your helgramite or nymph. You will not have to struggle so much with the vise head if it is out of the way. Might be too late to teach an old dog new tricks, but it really does make a difference, especially with smaller flies. If you've dismissed the merits of all rotary vises after honestly trying each one, so be it. That's what is most comfortable for you. Doesn't mean it is the best way of doing things, however. Not meant to be a personal critique, just an observation based on your comments and observing your style.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ignite a shit storm, I was just curious. I plan on getting a new vice one of these days and the Spartan was one that I was really looking at so I was curious to see people's opinions of the two vices on this thread. The irony is I'm a salty and don't even know what a nymph is.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ignite a shit storm, I was just curious. I plan on getting a new vice one of these days and the Spartan was one that I was really looking at so I was curious to see people's opinions of the two vices on this thread. The irony is I'm a salty and don't even know what a nymph is.

agn54-

you are looking at two good vises- period.

and i believe you would be happy w/ either...

i'm in the HMH camp- i have the standard- previously i had the spartan.

the best way i can describe the HMH vises would be- solid, simple, functional. perfect for my tastes and i can't imagine much of anything a person couldn't tie on them...

cheers,

B)

Ryan.

agn54-

you are looking at two good vises- period.

and i believe you would be happy w/ either...

i'm in the HMH camp- i have the standard- previously i had the spartan.

the best way i can describe the HMH vises would be- solid, simple, functional. perfect for my tastes and i can't imagine much of anything a person couldn't tie on them...

cheers,

B)

Ryan.

Ya for got that it tases like chicken too!!!

Arkie Mike

We can be dumbasses together lol!