Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJ All Day

Buying Bulk Wire

Hello there, I was watching some of DavieMcPhail's fly tying videos which are great. Now he ties his PTN with copper wire, and I want to buy it in bulk cause you go through a lot of wire, so I was just wondering if anyone knows of a place to buy bulk copper wire with an equivalant size to UTC extra small.

Speaker wire from radio shack. You can use just about anything, and old vacuum, cut the cord and strip it....stuff like that.

For years I used wire from extension cords, speaker cables, etc. I now have a pretty good selection of sizes. The problem with most of this stuff is that its naked wire- which is fine if you coat your flies with epoxy or Sally Hansen. Untreated wire tarnishes. Especially under damp conditions.

If you are serious about buying in bulk, check out http://www.planetengineers.com/. I buy mine from them. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the UTC wire, but I suspect it is approximately #30. (Take a sample into your hardware store and they will size it for you.)

Magnet Wire, AWG 30, (155ºC)

MW300SPNGD

Magnet Wire, Single Poly Nylon (SPN), Color: Gold, AWG 30

**Quantities in the pricing structure reflect pounds (0.45 Kg)

Approximate length: 3,100 feet per pound.

Unit Price for 1-4 Pieces: $25.11

Availability: in stock -

This is copper wire and is offered with a choice of coatings. The coatings protect the wire from oxidation. Single Poly Nylon (SPN) is the cheapest. The coating may also be coloured- I prefer the gold, but sometimes use red. I use #30 or #31 wire for ribbing medium-sized flies. I have #38, but use it only on the tiniest flies.

Considering the cost, you may want to find a couple of other tyers to share a spool or two.

Speaker wire from radio shack. You can use just about anything, and old vacuum, cut the cord and strip it....stuff like that.

I'm with Mark on this one. It takes only 30 seconds to strip down enough wire for 5 years. For lead I have an old lead core down rigging line with around 300 feet left on it.

Thanks guys, but i'm taking an electrical class in high school, and my teacher is super cool and fellow fly tyer, he has a bunch of stranded wire that is the perfect thickness. Now I have enough for life.

Thanks guys, but i'm taking an electrical class in high school, and my teacher is super cool and fellow fly tyer, he has a bunch of stranded wire that is the perfect thickness. Now I have enough for life.

tryi going to an armature winder i used to get loads off of my local workshop before the guys retired

remember though, it can be a real pain spooling wire onto small bobbins for using tying.

you should try davie's winter bug or his hoglouse too, davie and i used to do really well on them when i lived back home, he probably still does well on them

Try this link, all kinds of gages, and 20 or so colors in different size spools.

http://www.parawire.com/30-32gaugeParaWire.shtml

Prices are about $6.00 for a 300 foot spool.

Every once in a while. you come a cross a web link from a friend or acquaintance that is JUST what you where looking for. This looks to be just what I need. I have been tying alot (like 1000 flies in the last 60 days) and have been burning thru materials lately. I would love to get some new wire in DIFFERENT colors.

Please help me with one question. What size wire is 30, 32, and 34 guage? I tie with "Brassie" size almost all the time. "Small" and "ExtraSmall" for ribbing #22-#18 and occassionaly Medium Wire for a #12 CopperJohn. These are all the UTC names for their sizes. Can someone please tell me where the guage sizes fit in to UTC's less than exact size names?? :dunno:

I will most certainly be buying wire from this site this week.

-Searching!

I don't use UTC wire, but I can tell you the diameter of the wires you mention:

gauge inches mm

30 0.01003 0.2548

32 0.007950 0.2019

34 0.006305 0.1601

Maybe someone who uses UTC wire has a good set of calipers or a wire gage and can give you those measurements.

I measured some UTC wire with a Mike-Rite leader guage. Accounting for the enamel coating here is what I came up with.

UTC size = Diameter (inches) = AWG for enameled wire

Extra small = .004 = 38-40

Small = .007 = 34

Brassie = .009 = 32

Medium = .014 = 28

Large = .017 = 26

Every once in a while. you come a cross a web link from a friend or acquaintance that is JUST what you where looking for. This looks to be just what I need. I have been tying alot (like 1000 flies in the last 60 days) and have been burning thru materials lately. I would love to get some new wire in DIFFERENT colors.

Please help me with one question. What size wire is 30, 32, and 34 guage? I tie with "Brassie" size almost all the time. "Small" and "ExtraSmall" for ribbing #22-#18 and occassionaly Medium Wire for a #12 CopperJohn. These are all the UTC names for their sizes. Can someone please tell me where the guage sizes fit in to UTC's less than exact size names?? :dunno:

I will most certainly be buying wire from this site this week.

-Searching!

I sent you a couple of PMs and you haven't replied? did you get them?

F14

Maybe you really should get your glasses checked? The answer to your question is in the preceding 2 replies.

No it isn't. I'm buying a vise from him if you look at my rotary vise thread in the trading floor. and i thought if he looked here he might see what i wrote and check his pms.