Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Green Butt Skunk Wingless

Nope, just came up with it today for fun. I have a skunk hide that I picked up this winter and started going over. This one was begging to be tied. There are good vibes from this pattern though. You know how you come up a pattern every once and a while and you just get the feeling this is going to do nicely. I have fished a GBS trout pattern for many years with good returns, just not this one.

There are good vibes from this pattern though.

I hear ya' bro'. This one will catch eyes and trouts. ;)

Now have to tie some.

Thanks for sharing.

like that one a lot.

although primarily a warmwater fisher, i absolutely love drys and softhackles.

camoham

I think skunk is a suitable substitute for polar bear. It's not quite there for quality but suitable. Having a whole hide helps as the qualities of the fur can change on differrent parts of the hide. There is a great Polar Bears substitiute called Serebjanka or Russian Silver Goat. In fact for streamers I think it is better, it is more PC but still spendy.

You know how you come up a pattern every once and a while and you just get the feeling this is going to do nicely.
Yeah, I know that feeling. It's good, and more often than not, correct.

I've never tied with skunk. Planned on getting a pelt but just haven't. It's supposed to make a good substitue for Polar Bear. I was thinking about picking a pelt up for that purpose. Do you have any insight on the comparison?

A really nice and good looking fly!

I like the dubbing behind the front hackel. I guess it will prevent the hackle to collapse in faster water.

The dubbing looks just like snow shoe rabbit. I will go for that since I don't have any skunk...